Anterior resection op successful 11th Jan

2 minute read time.

I am back home exactly one week today, following my operation on January 11th. What a week that was. 

Firstly, it seemed uncertain and 'unconfirmed' that the operation would actually go ahead as hoped. London hospitals, indeed all UK hospitals are more than stretched and this notion only added a further degree of worry and anxiety. Added to this, it was made clear after my two scans, that the tumour was obstructing my colon, meaning I would very soon not be able to go to the toilet etc. A scary situation, especially when apart from toilet issues, I felt absolutely fine.

After self-isolating for 3 weeks, many blood tests and other hospital swabs and covid tests, my op went ahead as planned. I actually only relaxed once I lay on that hospital bed, just before my procedure. The worry and stress I felt was beyond belief. Building up strength of mind and trying to remain positive, even in the face of gloom, is vital! I have really been taught this lesson throughout these last 3 months. I am usually a very optimistic person, but when I received the diagnosis I crumbled. I refuse to now be negative. I was informed the operation was a success and my recovery has been good. After a week I am now home, walking around the house slowly but surely. The first two days after the procedure were extremely painful. My entire core hurt and small tasks, like picking up a jug of water was impossible. The hospital staff were amazing and very supportive. By Day 4, I was slowly walking around the room and eating small portions of food. Luckily, I had a bowel movement on Day 2, after experiencing lots of pain with wind and gas that did not know how to escape! Very frustrating. 

I am just so pleased to be home. I am most certainly not a fan of hospitals, and have only ever been in when I had my 2 boys. Well, I need to get used to them as I will now be supported by  London team and have my first meet on the 28th Jan. This meeting will identify the tumour and see what treatment will be required. I am hoping for good news and if treatment is required, I feel I will be stronger to deal with what comes my way, One day at a time. 

Anonymous