Side Effects Between Cycles 2 and 3

1 minute read time.

Cycle 3 tomorrow (14/08/24) and my summary of effects after Cycle 2 is:

GENERAL - Mostly similar to effects after Cycle 1. Specifics and differences worth noting are:

DAROLUTAMIDE - I started taking the regular dose (tablet form) the day after Cycle 2 infusion. This will continue indefinitely - or until it stops working / cannot be tolerated.

FATIGUE - a new effect, particularly significant on days 4 to 7. Never experienced anything like it before, it felt like wading through treacle and I just wanted to lay down. Effects diminished over following days and no other significant episodes since. This is listed as a side effect of all my current treatments so not sure what caused it, although maybe darolutamide as I'd only just started taking this. We'll see what happens in Cycle 3.

MOUTH - experienced same, but this time it was diagnosed as musositis caused by chemo. Was given Benzydanine and Chlorohexidine mouthwashes which cleared it in 7 days. Will get a supply of these in advance to hopefully head off any future problems.

HANDS - Thumbs and index / middle fingers on both hands became painful to touch and nails discoloured which did improve (though not 100%) by day 21.. Consultant confirmed this is a common chemo side effect and will eventually go away.

NOSE - uncomfortable and a couple of minor nosebleeds from day 5. Nosebleeds listed as a Darolutanide side effect.

Weight - remained stable with same diet, despite being led astray a couple of times with a session in the pub when I felt up to it.

EYES - became watery and irritated, sucessfully treated using wife's non-prescription Hycosan eye drops.

RIGHT HAND INFUSION SITE - all OK until day 4 when veins surrounding site became red. Not painful and no other effects, so didn't take further. Will see what they say at next visit for Cycle 3.

HAIR - still thinning, not much left now but still a thin covering. 

OVERALL - Cycle 2 slightly worse than Cycle 1, but so far all side effects are temporary and manageable. I think experience as treatment continues will help inform me how manage these more effectively.

Anonymous