Primary adeno Ca both lungs

1 minute read time.

I'm new to this and have joined in the hope I will get some help and support along the way with dealing with this diagnosis and the treatment she is going to have. 

My wife 52, non smoker was diagnosed in April with primary bilateral bronchogenic Ca, after a year of treatment for "adult onset asthma" both by the GP and a chest physician. After the usual tests, we have been told they are operable, but experience with managing primary Ca in both lungs is limited as it is uncommon.

She had surgery on one lung and is recovering and is due to go for the second in 1-2 weeks, followed by chemotherapy.

We are totally overwhelmed by all that is going on and my poor wife is finding it hard to mentally prepare herself for the second surgery.

The range of emotions from deep sadness, anger (at what/who - we don't know!) depression, but thankfully so far mainly optimism, is overwhelming. I am finding it difficult to focus and carry on with the tasks of daily living and can only imagine the difficulty my wife must be going through.

What a reality check this has been. Priorities and perspectives have changed, and we realise how much we take this precious life for granted and worry about trivial things! 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi liljackie, i do have joint probs, the op brought on arthritis, its all over the place but I can put up with it. IT DONT KILL YOU so I dont worry about it. I have only had 1 chest infection in 3 years so have been lucky. I get around but walking can be difficult at times, but I am pleased to be alive. Pain and worry put you under stress but it gets less as time go's on. I try to go abroad as much as I can afford and the warmer climate helps a bit. I would live in Spain if I could afford it. I only see the oncologist once a year now so am thinking of selling up and moving to Spain for most of the year, just renting something in Britain.

Good luck and I hope the back eases a little.

Bill xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sujit, you mentioned emotions, we all have 'em, anger, frustration, fear, but its normal. Just do as the medics say and everything will work out fine. The second op will soon be over and the mending process will begin and life will get better.

Try to relax and take care, Bill xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Bill. You can't imagine how much this helps.

Yes, we are still on an emotional roller coaster. She had a left lower lobectomy and is feeling better by the day. Normally a very strong, determined and optimistic person and she sailed through ovarian and breast ca 7 & 6 years ago. This has knocked us down, but we are picking ourselves up. Good days and some bad. The prospect of chemo is daunting.

Much as those around us advice on not putting off the next one, (right middle lobectomy) ultimately, she is the one going through the pain physically and mentally and I just can not bring myself to push her on account of our anxiety.

Will another week make a great deal of difference? Maybe it will - we hope not. This is tormenting us.

We pray for courage and wisdom to make the correct choices