How bad can this 'thing' get!

1 minute read time.

Hi Everybody,

Long time again since last Blog and things don't get any better. Having had lots of problems with the Nephrostomy Tube fitted to my Husband's good kidney as he lost the use of the left side one during Chemo, we now face mets to the brain and 5 days of Radio in Liverpool. Also, he has involuntary movements in his arms and legs to the point where a cup of tea can get flung into the air and his legs just crumble underneath him. The Onc. doesn't have an answer for this, but then, they aren't doing any more scans, I had to push for the Brain Scan as I thought that something just wasn't right since Christmas time.

He is so good and never complains even though he knows that his brain is 'acting up', but I think that I am nearing Tether's End. It's so difficult trying to make him understand what I'm trying to say. Sometimes he grasps straightaway, other times he answers with a completely different topic so I just agree, it's easier.

And so we look forward to some more sleepless nights. I just feel so inadequate even though I'm doing all that I can. Just don't know why I bother praying anymore.

Thank you if you read this.

Love, Tricia. X

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tricia,

The comments you made regarding your hubbies involuntary movements prompted me to answer your blog, however I must stress, I am in no way connected to the medical profession, what I am about to say is only from personal experience and is only intended as a possible explanation, it would be up to your doctor to check it out, if he/she hasn't already done so.

Recently my partner suffered from quite severe involuntary movements, a blood test showed that he had acute renal failure, and because of this he had very high levels of potassium in his blood, I was told that the high potassium levels were the cause of the involuntary movements.  Please don't panic, I am not, for one moment suggesting that your hubbie has gone into renal failure, but as your hubbie only has one working kidney, I wondered whether it might be worth suggesting to the doctor to take a blood test from him to check his potassium levels. This may already have been checked, but as you say your onc. didn't have an answer for the involuntary movements, I thought it might help if I put this suggestion forward.

I must point out though, as far as we know my partner did not have brain mets, so these may  possibly be the cause of your hubbies movements.

I know when my K was ill I was prepared to ask the doctors to investigate any possibilities, and that is my reason for deciding to answer your blog.

I do know that after my K had dialysis to clean the blood, the involuntary movements stopped.

Please remember, this is only my experience and may not be the same for your hubbie.

My K too, knew that there was something wrong with his brain function, but I think he understood everything that went into his brain, he just couldn't reply correctly or in a way that I would understand.  So I know how hard it is for you hun, to watch your man struggle this way is heartbreaking. Just a gentle warning...even though your hubbie doesn't answer you correctly, don't underestimate how much he understands, I did, and I learned the hard way, my K overheard the conversation I had with a doctor about the fact that he was dying, he got so distressed and upset, it was then I realised that he understood everything that was going on around him, after that I would not let anyone talk about such things in front of him again.

Don't underestimate yourself either hun, you are doing the very best you can in difficult circumstances, no one could ask more of you. Don't give up, stay strong, he needs your love more now than ever, and I'm sure he'll get it.

Love M.  xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you so much to all of you that took the time and effort to respond to my post. I really appreciate it. What great people you are. You are all suffering yourselves, and yet...........guess that's why we joined.

I could write to each of you, as I follow your journey's, suffice to say, keep blogging.(_Debs? - I'm waiting). Blue Phoenix- I did think of that, thank you. Kezzer, you soft toughie, I admire you.

Loads of love to you all,

Tricia. X