Five short weeks

Less than one minute read time.
I can hardly believe that it just five short weeks since I did the "Horrible News" blog about having heard that my former boss had been diagnosed with secondary cancers. This morning I received a call to say that he died today. He was such a lovely person, considerate, polite - my Mum said, "a real gentleman" although I know that's a very old-fashioned phrase to use nowadays and only people as old as I am will understand what that means - very generous with his knowledge in a sphere where curators and researchers are occasionally very very tight-fisted about sharing their expertise. I am glad that we had a wonderful day out together on 1st September, and I am glad that he was at home, not in an impersonal environment. He was a very modest man considering his achievement. It was a privilege to know him. It;s a strange and cruel world. I had expected him to have been at my funeral.
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Penny, I was sorry to read of the death of your former boss and friend.It is a very strange and sad thing to hear especially when it is the  people diagnosed with or after yourself. It makes you realise just how lucky you are to still be enjoying life.I still find it hard to believe that my dear friend and colleague died earlier this year(we were both diagnosed within weeks of each other) and of course my dear mum who died last year  only 6 months after diagnosis.Hugs sent to you Penny xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

It helps a lot to read your messages, and I am very sorry for those of you who have suffered such heartfelt losses as you have logged here.  Sending hugs back to you xxxx Penny

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

So sorry to read your news, this cancer thing is beyond words sometimes.

I wish you strength. Love EJ

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

As everyone knows, it's all very messing and distressing now, making arrangements and trying to support the bereaved partner.  To be honest, it all still seems a bit unreal, and I find it hard to believe that I shall never see him again.   xxxxx