carers comfort

1 minute read time.

Yes  it is painful to be caring for a loved one who has been diagnosed with cancer.

my partner was diagnosed with oesophagal cancer last July .  What a shock and the begins a journey ,a journey which few of us have ever been on before-learning every step of the way.  In January after many tests we found out the the cancer is inoperable and he was referred to a hospice for palliative care. So far he has refused more chem as he felt too weak after the investigative surgery but is getting a little stronger every day and so when he sees the consultant this week he may decide to accept it -this will entirely be his decision. Although diabetic he was given steriods which have helped increase his appetite and he is starting to put back on some of the weight he previously lost -also he has been prescribed Ensure Plus which we make into delicious ice cream sodas.  His spirits are pretty good -some days better then others but then that is like most of us  and is finding meditation very helpful.  At present he is very very tired which he thinks is a result of the explorative op -I'm not too sure on that but I don't know .  So far taking each day as it comes 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well they say every day can be different and so it seems .  Sorry to moan a bit but I'm beginning to feel like a servant and not a very good one at that -it's get me this get me that -I want this and I don't want that -that' too hot or tha't too cold  and more amd more I'm being made to feel guilty if I have to go out .  The conversation is all about him and how he feels not that there is much conversation as most of the time is spent sleeping or dominating the TV set watching football.  I feel there is nothing in my life except cancer and constantly looking after someone -  I just feel exhausted and yet its all down to me  but I seem to get it all wrong

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's not all down to you. There's nothing more you can do - except make sure you get some time out. I felt much the same as you do - can't you get someone to give you an afternoon off and just get out? You need it. You need some other conversation, too. Don't be sorry to moan, and it's not moaning.

My husband enjoyed seeing someone else other than me, and I didn't feel guilty about getting out then, just plain relieved. I had the feeling I couldn't continue without a bit of time out., and he felt much more 'normal' with someone else.

Thinking of you. xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you for the support -will try to get someone to come and sit with my husband as it is difficult to leave him even to go out for essentials.  Went to doctors to collect a prescription and doctor asked to see me and had a good chat -thankfully I have a good doctor and support from the Hospice .  Been a really emotional day as my husband wanted to talk about his dying - cried and cried it was almost as though a valve was released as I felt more restful than I have since my husband was diagnosed almost a year ago

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you for the support -will try to get someone to come and sit with my husband as it is difficult to leave him even to go out for essentials.  Went to doctors to collect a prescription and doctor asked to see me and had a good chat -thankfully I have a good doctor and support from the Hospice .  Been a really emotional day as my husband wanted to talk about his dying - cried and cried it was almost as though a valve was released as I felt more restful than I have since my husband was diagnosed almost a year ago