Side Effects

1 minute read time.
Side Effects

Chemo Cycle 1: Day 4

Well that hit me with a vengeance this morning, nausea and heartburn, just out of nowhere as soon as I woke!  The past 2 days I walked my normal 8-10km a day and was a bit tired and restless but generally ok, so this morning was a shock, anticipated at some point, but still a shock! 

Around 11am I gave myself a good talking to, got up, showered and relocated to lying on the sofa.  It would be very easy to see how people can feel sorry for themselves quite quickly as it's hard to stay positive and active when your stomach is cramped and you have pains in your ribs and back. I am lucky, supportive husband and daughter and kind enquiring messages from friends, colleagues and family pretty continuously, all good to keep me positive, but it makes me wonder how someone on their own copes with this and has the energy and motivation to get up and get going.

To be fair, once I got sorted with Omeprazole for the heartburn, things have been so much better. Other side effects have been a bit of tiredness, weird mouth taste, a crusty nose, constipation, diarrhoea (weirdly one day afte the other) as well as restless sleeps and being a bit slower when out walking. But I’ve not had the chronic fatigue that I have read about and I feel very grateful for that. Days 4 through 6 were the worst, but other than one day I have been out for a walk and some air.

I do have some amazing people in my support network. My 8th bunch of flowers arrived today, though sadly without a name so not sure who to thank.  But I get a huge amount of energy from this wonderfully thoughtful group of people. 

Anonymous
  • Oooh..you're so brave. Thanks for sharing your experience. So positive through it all, such a trooper you are. Will stop now and go to bed. Continue tomorrow! 

• Flowers remind you that people are routing for you. Something tangible you can see to motivate yourself. I have some kind friends who have done lovely gestures for me. And given me so much strength. They're all very thoughtful and I am so grateful for them. 

• My treatment plan is also TCHP...6wks then the HP for longer afterwards. Blinking critter feeds off oestrogen which is why HP for longer! Omeprazole must remember! Did you take the sick tablet before you start? We are so similar it's insane! Heartburn and all. Stomach cramps aren't nice at all, how did you cope? I will take your advice to do walks for sure.