Breast Cancer Reconstruction

1 minute read time.
Well, I've made it - had breast cancer, mastectomy, lymph nodes removed - no chemo as caught infection which nearly killed me so had radio. and Herceptin for 1 year.  Anyway, here I am with permanent lymphodaema in left arm, dreadful joint pain from arthritis and thinking about having reconstruction to left breast!  Can anyone give me advice as I am wondering whether it will be worth it - two boobs instead of one - at the risk of further infection from surgery.  Will I look better, feel better about myself or will I just be dicing with what I have now?.  My breast cancer was diagnosed in 2007 - grade 3 with 5 lymph nodes positive out of the axillary clearance.  Should I just thank my lucky stars I am here to tell the story or let my vanity get the better of me.  My husband says it isn't worth it at my age 50!  He just can't bear the thought of not having his dinner made for him/washing done on time/house clean.  I just want my clothes to fit nicely.  Maybe it's time to say goodbye to Macland and move on.  Good luck to all those people at the start of their treatment and hope someone can give me some positive feedback.  Keep well as possible everyone, God bless, Ann x
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Ann, its a hard decision to make and only you can. When i was diagnosed my ex husband was with me and my intial reaction was to cut it off and get rid of the cancer the next day. Ex told me to think about it as i would regret it at a later stage. I am glad i listened to him now and am hopefully getting reconstruction done for Christmas. My thoughts were if i dont get it done then every time i shower its a constant reminder of cancer. When you are in shock you cant make a proper decision so give yourself time to get over this awful time and then decide.

Good luck Kaz x