Macmillan's Cancer Information Blog

• "It’s cancer" ... what now?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Here on the 9th floor of an office block in Vauxhall, my colleagues and I produce information to help people cope and live with cancer. Many of our lives have personally been touched by cancer too. We know what a cancer diagnosis can do. It can turn your world upside down. Pull the rug from beneath your feet. Leave you in shock, feeling numb, confused and scared. If you or someone close has been diagnosed with cancer…

• It’s finally summer! Here’s how to enjoy the sun safely

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I think most of my friends and colleagues in the office today have enjoyed a weekend of walks, parks, tennis and most importantly, sunshine! And who can blame them? It’s rare we get weather this good in the UK!

It took a long time getting here, but it seems summer has finally arrived. And with temperatures expected to stay in the mid- to high-20s over the next ten days, the good news is that for once, the hot…

• Women at increased risk of breast cancer to be offered risk-reducing drugs

FormerMember
    FormerMember

From this week, women in England and Wales who have an increased risk breast cancer because of their family history can be prescribed a daily pill to reduce their risk.

The drugs tamoxifen and raloxifene can reduce a woman’s risk of breast cancer by between 30% and 40% when taken daily for five years.  New guidelines from NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) recommend that the NHS should offer…

• Cancer information for people with learning disabilities

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It’s awful going in to have hospital treatment and not knowing what is going to happen to you, not knowing makes us feel more nervous. When you have cancer, it’s scary and if you don’t know what’s going to happen to you, you feel worried. Knowing that these accessible cancer books are here makes me feel supported

Catherine Carter – Trainer with learning disabilities at CHANGE

There are around 985,000 people in England living with learning disabilities.1 That’s 2% of the general population. And yet, it can sometimes be really difficult for this audience to find accessible health information.

It’s hard enough being told you have cancer and trying to understand all the treatment options and possible implications.…

• Oral sex, human papilloma virus (HPV) and throat cancer

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Actor Michael Douglas caused quite a stir last week, after the media reported that he said his throat cancer was caused by cunnilingus (performing oral sex on women). Although Michael’s publicist is now stating he didn’t say exactly this, people are already asking, ‘Is oral sex dangerous?’ So, we’re here to tell you the facts.

HPV

HPV is a common virus. There are several types. But only…