Macmillan's Cancer Information Blog

• Changing seasons

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Written by Debbie, one of our Living with cancer editors.

There’s a brisk chill in the morning air, a kaleidoscope of leaves on the ground and the evenings are gradually shuffling in. Some of us here in the office (myself included) are still clinging stubbornly to our summer sandals. Others have relinquished and embraced their autumn boots with gusto. At the very least, chances are your diary has cleared of BBQs, weddings…

• The Sound of Support – Have you heard about our audiobooks?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Would you find listening to our cancer information easier than reading it? We want everyone affected by cancer to be able to access our information, so we produce a wide range of audiobooks to support you. Our audiobooks come in clearly designed and easy-to-read packaging (see below). And better still they contain the information that you might need!

Why try audio?

Listening to an audiobook could be helpful if:

• Breast reconstruction is not for everybody – women explore other options after a mastectomy

FormerMember
      FormerMember

Faced with the prospect of having a mastectomy, women often worry about the impact it will have on their appearance. Feeling this way is completely normal, and everyone has different ways of handling it.

Reactions to losing a breast vary from woman to woman. Some women want to restore their breast shape and appearance through reconstruction, others prefer a breast prosthesis, and others prefer to leave their body as…

• What is proton beam therapy?

FormerMember
      FormerMember

If you’ve heard about proton beam therapy in the news or elsewhere, you might be wondering what it actually is. We’ve all heard of surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy as treatments for cancer. But what is proton beam therapy? How does it work? And what makes it different from conventional radiotherapy?

About radiotherapy

Radiotherapy is one of the main types of cancer treatment in the UK. Around 40% of…

• My life after cancer treatment

FormerMember
      FormerMember

My name is Aurélie. I’m an editor in the Cancer Information Development team and I’ve been in remission for two years. This is an aspect of my personal experience and a topic which I feel should receive greater attention.

If you’ve had cancer and have been through treatment, you’ll know something that many around you rarely do. When cancer is over, it’s not over. It does not stop at the gate of the…