Macmillan's Cancer Information Blog

• International Volunteer Day

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today is International Volunteer Day! This day aims to celebrate volunteers by raising awareness of the vital contributions that they make towards their local and wider communities. In this blog, our editorial assistant Amy-Louise celebrates the volunteers who contribute to the work we do in our team.

Here at Macmillan, volunteers are at the heart of our work. We currently have over 20,000 volunteers who dedicate their…

• Cancer and your feelings: Anger Awareness Week

FormerMember
    FormerMember

December 1st – 7th is Anger Awareness Week. Our editor Imogen talks about why it’s okay to feel angry and how you can cope with your feelings.

We are told that it’s one of the seven deadly sins – a big, scary emotion that can take over everything. But anger is simply a human response to situations that make us feel anxious, hopeless, or out of control.

Why do I feel angry?
    If you are diagnosed…

• Depression – myths and facts

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Depression is a common condition that affects people for many reasons, including people affected by cancer. In this blog, editor Matt exposes some of the myths surrounding the illness.

Depression is a common mental health condition that affects around 1 in 10 people. It can develop gradually or very quickly. Depression can be triggered by any number of factors. For some people it may not be clear what has caused it.

• November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Lung cancer is the third most common cancer in the UK. In 2013, around 42,500 people were diagnosed with lung cancer. As it’s lung cancer awareness month, one of our information development nurses Teri has written this helpful blog, highlighting the possible risks and causes of lung cancer. She also lets you know what symptoms to look out for and when to get them checked by your GP. The earlier lung cancer is diagnosed…

• 9 things you might not know about mouth cancer

FormerMember
    FormerMember

In this blog, our intern Sadie shares some key facts about mouth cancer.

Did you know that November is Mouth Cancer Awareness Month?

I wouldn’t judge you if you didn’t, because until I was asked to write to this blog, neither did I! That is probably because mouth cancer is an uncommon type of cancer and it accounts for only one in 50 of all cancer cases. But because of this, it’s even more important to raise awareness…