THANKS (31 July 2020)

3 minute read time.

Although my bladder cancer journey will continue forever (in the short term getting used to my Neobladder and in the long term quarterly, bi-annually and then annual scans), I wanted to draw a line under this blog.
The first entry was on 7th June and today, 54 days later, decisions have been made, surgery performed and recovery well under way.

First of all a big thank you to everyone who has supported me in this journey.

I chose to keep all comments you made to me via this blog private, but they were all so thoughtful, encouraging and really appreciated.
Same is true of the emails, calls, IM’s, texts and WhatsApp’s.
Some were from friends and colleagues that I speak to regularly, but equally important to me were the messages from some of you that for whatever reason I don’t see that often, but who found out about my journey and took the time to send me your best wishes.
I also received some gifts which was extremely kind, but four arrived anonymously. I worked out who two of the senders were so I could get in touch and thank you, but I still don’t know who the other two were from so I’m thanking you here (1. A bird book, 2. A water bottle and puzzle book – thanks).

I had another meeting with my surgeon yesterday, and asked for clarification on my cancer status. I‘d mentioned in a previous post that one more test was outstanding and that was now complete. It concerned one of the ureters that passes urine from the kidneys to the bladder, and has been given the all clear.
12 lymph nodes were removed and checked and all are negative for cancer.
My bladder was obviously removed and as that was the only cancerous body, I am now officially cancer free.
I actually got a 2-for-1 whilst under the knife as I found out that my appendix was also removed. Reason being my surgeon wanted to prevent any potential future surgery in that area, and the appendix does nothing for you.

I also asked my surgeon and urology nurse how best I can use this blog and my experience to help a fellow bladder cancer patient. They will read all my posts and let me know how best it can be used. I will also hopefully be on a patient ‘mentoring’ list where I can provide support to someone beginning their own bladder cancer journey.

A few more posts will cover my bladder training, then a few milestone updates will be posted to cover things such as when I’m back to work (August 17), when I drive, when I play golf , and yes… when I play Monday night 5-a-side footy!

As I said at the top of this post, everyone’s support and comments cannot be underestimated in helping me get through this and I repeat my thanks.
Obviously there is one person without who I really couldn’t have coped, both emotionally and practically. We still have our challenges ahead, but thank you for everything my lovely wife x.

And finally in this kind of summary post, please, please do not wait even 1 day if you spot any blood in your pee. Call your GP that day.
Chances are it will be nothing to worry about, but had I delayed my call longer than a week and no more blood was ever seen, then it honestly could have been too late and without dramatising this too much I’ll end with my first, local surgeons words when I asked what my outcome was if I did nothing…. “you’ll have 1 to 2 years to live”

Anonymous