FRUSTRATION (26 June 2020)

1 minute read time.

This post is being typed from my hospital bed on Friday 26 June which is 11 days post-op, and I’m here because during my short time back at home I was not cleaning the new bladder correctly.

Yesterday I spoke to the same nurse who had said he would come and check I was doing the clean properly before I was discharged last Friday , but he then left early.
It turns out even if he had checked I would’ve been doing it as per his intructions.

Apparently there are different processes, and he had been told by his Duty Sister to do it the way he showed me; which is not correct for a Neobladder.

Everyone makes mistakes but this has caused me this spell in hospital

I have 2 current problems that need fixing before I can come home.

1. Because urine passed through a place it should not, my white blood cells have been impacted so am now on a course of intravenous antibiotics
2. Urine still going via loosened Neobladder stitch into my drain bag

I’m now on a 4 hourly bladder flush routine, which means last night I did it at 8pm. Midnight and 4am. Considering how hard it is to sleep in hospital anyway, this makes it bit harder.
Early days, but last nights flushes do seem to be helping In terms of extracting the mucus and the amount of urine appearing in the drain bag

I was a bit down yesterday but the reality is I am definitely in the best place to get this sorted and I do not want to be bouncing back and forth between here and home
Accepting the situation, and being allowed to get an hours fresh air in a park, just round the corner (via a sweety shop) has made all the difference.
The things we take for granted; sitting in the sunshine, in a park, eating some fruit gums and drinking a mango smoothie. Rock ‘n roll.
But I am feeling much more positive and my ‘down’ yesterday didn’t even qualify as a “feel sorry for myself” day

Anonymous