Neuroendocrine Cancer Awareness

• Don't believe the hype - Neuroendocrine Cancer Myths

Don't believe the hype - 10 myths

There’s a lot of inaccurate information out there …….

Myth 1:  All Neuroendocrine Tumours are benign

Not true.  By any scientific definition, the word ‘tumour’ means ‘an abnormal mass of tissue that results when cells divide more than they should or do not die when they should. Tumours may be benign (not cancerous), or malignant (cancerous)’.  HoweverThe World Health Organisation…

• Diagnosed with Neuroendocrine Cancer? 10 questions to ask your doctor

On the day I was diagnosed, I hadn’t really thought about questions, the only one I actually remember asking was “how long do I have left to live” (I watch too many movies!).  On the day of diagnosis and a period beyond, people tend to feel emotions of shock, denial, anger and sadness, before going on to accept their situation.  Yes, I ‘googled’ but not a great deal really – although some things I…

• There’s no such thing as a ‘tickbox’ Neuroendocrine Cancer patient

Thousand of people are diagnosed with cancer every day.  Neuroendocrine Cancer now forms an increasing number of these diagnoses thanks to greater awareness, better diagnostic tools and more accurate reporting systems, including the ability to get the correct cancer type into the statistics.  However, although numbers are on the increase, it doesn’t necessarily directly relate to a better diagnostic experience – that is…

• In the war on Neuroendocrine Cancer, let’s not forget to win the battle for better quality of life

The first question to the first ever joint patient-physician symposium

In the last 12-24 months, there seems to have been announcement after announcement of new and/or upgraded/enhanced diagnostics and treatment types for Neuroendocrine Cancer.  Increased availability of radionuclide scans, increased availability of radionuclide therapies, combination therapies, increased availability of somatostatin analogues, biological…

• Poker Face or Cancer Card?

Before I was diagnosed, I had my share of illnesses. Fortunately, many of them were the routine stuff that most people tend to get from time to time; and most did not stop me getting on with whatever needed doing.

I served in the military from aged 16 until 45….. a long time!  On only two occasions during that 29 year period, did I involuntary visit a hospital: aged 16 having been knocked out at boxing (you should…