Wednesday November 3rd - Went to my GP

2 minute read time.

I managed to get an appointment with my GP this morning.  He told me that the way I am feeling is perfectly understandable and that he agreed I am not fit to work at the moment.  He has given me an initial sick note of 4 weeks but is happy to give me another one in four weeks time. 

We also talked about the possibility of bereavement counselling, something I have had before and intend doing again anyway.  Seemingly there is a 12 week waiting list for the NHS and so he suggested I contact cruze and see if I could see someone any quicker.

I phoned them this morning and the woman was lovely.  She says there is a waiting list but that it shouldn't be as long as 12 weeks, so she has taken my details and said someone will contact me with an appointment.

On the work front there has still be no response from my boss to my email.  Today I emailed her again and told her I'd been to my GP, had a sick note and was seeking counselling.  I have still had no direct response but she has been to my friend twice since I spoke to her yesterday.  The first time was to tell her she had received my first email but hadn't replied yet as she was trying to think of how to word her reply.  Can you believe it?  She said she thought she would just leave it!  So there I am needing to know where I stand and she choosesto ignore it rather than deal with it.  The second time was today when she went to Suz to tell her she had received the other email re: the sick note and counselling.  She said to Suz that she was pleased I was looking at counselling and that school could probably help with that.  Sounds like she wants to refer me to OH something I am not happy about!  She said to Suz she was going to ring me and did she think I would answer her call.  Suz said of course I would, why wouldn't I!?!  As yet there has been no call. 

I've set the wheels in motion on the counselling front as I know how long you can wait for an appointment and I'm not actually ready yet to talk about everything as I feel things are still too raw.  Now it appears she thinks she can speed the process up by putting it in the hands of occupational health.  I am not happy!  She needs to let me deal with this at my own pace and accept that I know what is best for me and that's what I'll tell her if she ever rings!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi caroline

hmm, OH policy must vary a lot from workplace to workplace as i didnt see them til i'd be off about 5 months never mind 4 weeks! I will say though, I did not receive the grilling from them that I was expecting - rather they were very nice and it was just like a chat with my doctor. So I'd try not to get tense about seeing OH - you have a doctors note and can get another in 4 weeks time, and after all you are not skiving, you are very validly unable to work. Your boss, however wellmeaning she may think she is being, will have to accept that you know the best way for you to cope with your grief, especially in these very early days and coming weeks.

i would leave it now - post in your sick note, and you are not obliged to inform them of anything regarding your return date right up until the date that sick note ends.

i hope your boss sees that 'supporting' is great when the other person feels supported - however if they are feeling pressured by it, its not working!

love n hugs, claire xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Try not to worry about work too much - try to take a bit of a back seat and worry about (much) more important things. You will soon be back in work in the thick of it - so do try to make use of this time, spending it with friends and family if you can - talking about your mum  - best wishes. jackie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi caroline good to hear you went to your gp im glad he gave you a sick note your not ready for work not everyone can return back to work after losing someone as quick as a few days am happy you are going to see a councilor and im happy your are telling her you will do things your way dont let her push you around stand your ground girl

Love jean