Tuesday November 2nd - Work worries!

4 minute read time.

As many of you will know my boss has been so supportive throughout my mums illness.  During the last 12 months I have been able to come and go as I want, going in to teach lessons and then coming home to mum.  I attended every appointment mum had including all her chemo and RT.  When mum went into hospital on September 21st I was put on compassionate leave and haven't been back to work since.  My boss came to see me on the Monday after mum died and I made it clear that my intention was that I would aim to be back in January.  The girl who's covering for me at work, and who is a good friend, had warned me that my boss wanted me to get straight back after half term, which was last week, as she thought it would be the best thing for me.

Yesterday I emailed my boss to re-iterate my plan to return after Christmas and to ask if I should now visit my GP and get him to sign me off.  I clarified that I was really grateful for her support and that I understood that she could not continue to offer that level of support indefinitely.  I also said that I could see that she might think it better for me to get back sooner but that I just don't feel strong enough.  As yet she has not responded but I phoned my friend at lunch time and she told me that my boss had asked to speak to her early yesterday morning, before I sent the email, to say she thought it would be better to get me back sooner and that she was going to try and get me to come back in December.

At that point I dissolved in tears and had to hang up.  The problem is my boss lost her mum a couple of years ago and was back in school about 2 days after the funeral and one or two other colleagues have been similar recently.  Obviously that was the best way for them but everyone's different.  I have some big anniversaries coming up before Christmas and I just can't contemplate going back to what is a very challenging environment while I feel so vulnerable and unstable.

I've never been good at this time of year as my dad died on December 19th 1983 and his funeral was on Christmas eve.  When everyone else is in party mode I usually descend lower and lower as I approach Christmas and I know this year is going to be even harder.  She has been so good to me and that makes it even harder so that I am worrying about it constantly.  Having just found out that she has spoken to Suzanne about me has upset and angered me.  How dare she speak to someone else about me.  Surely she would have been better to speak to me?

Now I don't know what to do.  Do I go to my GP and ask him to sign me off sick now?  Is she right should I go back sooner?  Do I even want to go back at all?  I have given almost 20 years of my life to that place.  I was 100% career woman, moving up the ranks to Assistant Head, through sheer hard work and commitment to the kids.  I spent hours and hours of my own time running clubs and trips in the UK and abroad, in fact,  I am due to take 90 kids to Disneyland Paris in May next year.  I have always loved my job but when mum was diagnosed my priorities changed.  During the last 12 months I have struggled to cope with the daily challenges I have faced at a school, in one of the most deprived areas of the country, where so many of the kids have huge emotional baggage.

Recently I have even thought that perhaps a career change was be a good idea.  My present job affords me a very comfortable lifestyle but money isn't everything. I watched some wonderful people caring for my mum in her final days and have even thought that maybe that's what I should be doing. I've always said I could never nurse or care for someone but now that I've cared for mum for 12 months I think I could do it, that I might even be good at it, and that it would be very rewarding.  I don't mean train to be a nurse but to be a care assistant or something similar in a hospice or in the community.  Something I have also thought about for a long time is fostering.  I love kids but have never met the right person and so have none of my own but I feel I could offer youngsters a caring home where they could flourish and I've seen many kids at school who are in care and who would benefit from love and stability.

As you can see there's a lot going on my head and I'm old enough not to make rash decisions.  I just need time and space.  Other people have told me that going back to work, immediately after losing a loved one, has been a good thing as it's given them a focus other than their loss and I can appreciate that, but I did that when I lost my dad and suffered a complete meltdown 5 years later as a resul,t so I'm not going to go down that road again.

Oh well yet another rant.  I am in absolute turmoil and just don't know what to do but do know that work worries should not be my priority at the moment so I need to get it sorted as a matter of urgency.  I hope she contacts me soon so that I can deal with it and then put it away.  Only then will I be able to give myself time to come to terms with my situation and work though my grief.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

You've misunderstood Jan I'm not unhappy in my job at all but less than 3 weeks after my mum passed away am just not emotionally strong enough to go back yet.  Although it is extremely challenging it is also extremely rewarding and in normal circumstances I love it.  The possible change of career is more about what I now have to offer the kids as I approach 50 years of age and not seeing myself teaching for, possibly, another 16 years.  As for the fostering I don't mean to do that as a career instead of my work but in addition to it and certainly not in the very near future, I suppose I was just thinking out loud.  

I can see the sense in what you say about a phased return but I have no intention of resigning I just need to be 100% emotionally stable before I go back and I can't put a date on when that will be.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Caroline,

I have followed your blog posts with interest and empathy, having also painfully lost a parent to cancer.

I am writing with the warmest intention to say that it seems to me that you might be suffering from depression and should seek for help as soon as possible.

The reason I think this is that I went through an awful 5-6 years (!) after my father's death and it seems to me from your thoughts that you are following a similar path. I did not seek help, not until it was over a year after my father's death and it led to a lot of suffering, sadness, fear, and solitude.

My advice: ask for a GP's and possibly a psychiatrist's expert advice on whether you are ready to return to work.

all the very best for you

Amu

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi amu.  Thanks for the advice but I am confident I am not depressed just going through the grieving process.  When I lost my dad I didn't allow myself to grieve, went straight back to work and 5 years later I was depressed and had a complete breakdown.  When that happened my GP put me on anti depressants, arranged for me to see a psychiatrist and I got myself some bereavement counselling.  The reason I don't want to go back to work yet is to allow myself permission, and time, to grieve and so avoid the deep depression I sunk into some 22 years ago.

I am very emotionally aware and I can assure you I'm not depressed at the moment but thanks for caring. XX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello again Caroline,

As you know, I am thinking of you and wishing that all this added stress is lifted from you as soon as can be. Your job should be perfectly safe - you've given so many years of dedicated service - and as I said before, H.R. have certain protocol to follow. With a G.P.'s note to sign you off for as long as you both agree is needed (subject to review of course), then work should be fine.

Take your time to grieve - it's different for each of us - and I too know how it feels to lose your Mum and it doesn't matter how old you are - your Mum's a one off, especially in your case where you lived together and you cared for her throughout her illness! God Bless.

Love and hugs, Rose

x x x x x ((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))) x x x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Caroline,

Are you able to have any counselling?  It might be helpful to talk  through your feelings with someone "outside" of your circle of friends and colleagues.

After such a long and intense period of caring for your mum, you need some "me" time to gather your thoughts and emotional strength before starting back into a very demanding job.

I  agree with the suggestion that you consult your doctor  before making any decision about returning to work.  Is it possible that you do go back, it could be on a staged return basis?

Take care and look after yourself

daffie xxx