Thursday September 30th - We've had a lovely morning!

2 minute read time.

The phone rang at 9.30am this morning and it was mum.  When I answered she asked me was I on my way.  I told her it was only 9.30am and I would come in at around 11am.  I asked had someone helped her to phone me and she said 'no I did it myself I'm getting very clever!'

I arrived at the ward at 11am and mums face lit up when she saw me, big difference from yesterday.  We watched This Morning together and then I gave her her lunch at around 12.15pm.  She ate well, probably half her mince, mash and broccolli and all of her rice pudding.  Then she asked if I'd take her out for a cig, so off we went.  It was a beautiful sunny day and we went outside with her well wrapped up and sat in the sun for about half an hour before heading back to the ward.

Christine arrived just after we got back and explained that although mum was now on the list for the hospice three of the beds were not moving (so to speak) and so it could be a while before mum gets in there.  We discussed the possibility of Burnley hospice or accrington victoria cottage hospital and we agreed to wait until tomorrow and see what happened with Blackburn before making a decision. 

Mum told Christine that she had no idea how nice it was to see my face coming through the door.  She teared up a bit and that's the first time I've seen her emotional about the situation but she soon picked up and we had a nice chat and even the odd laugh.

After Christine went I took mum out again and then returned her to the ward about 2.30pm and got her settled in bed for a nap whilst I came home to do the washing and have something to eat.

Lots of you have been advising me to enjoy, and cherish, every minute I have with my mum and for the past week I thought I would never be able to do that but today I have really enjoyed my time with mum.  We've watched TV together, chatted and even laughed.  Hopefully she will have a nap while I'm home and will be bright again tonight.  I'm heading back for 5pm so that I can help her with her dinner.  Kieran volunteers on a ward in the hospital and starts at 5pm so I'll take him with me and he will come and visit mum when he finishes at 7pm and then I'll bring him home.

Mum told Christine her boy was coming to see her tonight and told her all about his ambition to become a Doctor.  She also told Christine how much she appreciated all that she was doing for us and said she didn't know what we'd have done without her.  She was definitely a lot less confused today, here's hoping it continues and we can have some more good days together.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline

Yes great news Mate - for both of you ! Really hope the improvements last and that you build some more fantastic memories together - recon you just brightened a few peoples day on here with your news - Thanks

Love and Hugs

John xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline

How good to hear you both had a lovely morning together. It's those little things like sharing a moment that help us get through the tough times.

Love and Hugs to you both

Maxine xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline,

That sounds like one really fab day, I am so pleased for both you and your mum.  Days like this are very precious.

Love to you both

Jan xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline

i'm so pleased for you and your mum, really glad you two had a nice morning.

sending my love to you both  suzie xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks everyone.  Mum was quite bright again tonight, although a wee bit tired.  She still desperately wants to get out of there and says this has been the longest day yet.  I thanked her for that as I have spent much more time there today, I'm obviously great company!  Seriously though it's just that as she's become less confused and is feeling a bit stronger it is more frustrating to be stuck in there.  She loved seeing her boy tonight though and he helped me to put her to bed before we left. 17 years of age and a wonderful, compassionate and loving young man!