Sunday September 2010 - My peace was short lived!

1 minute read time.

Mum got up to the bathroom twice during the night.  I went to sleep about 1 and at 2 heard her getting up.  I watched her going in, she struggled but made it.  As she came back out she stumbled a bit but was ok.  At 4am she visited the bathroom again.  This time I had to jump up and go and help her as she was holding the rails but just couldn't push up enought to get in.  At 8.30 I heard her get up and watched her go into the bathroom, she made it and I turned over hoping to maybe get some sleep.  I heard her come out of the bathroom and thought she was going down stairs but then realised I hadn't heard the stairlift after about 5 minutes.  I turned round and looked out to see her sitting on the bathroom step.  As she had stepped down out of the bathroom her legs had just given way and she had sunk onto the step.  I went out and lifted her up onto her feet.  If I hadn't been here I can't bare to think what might have happened.

She's clearly shaken up but when I suggested if she hd accepted a commode just until we got the new step built she told me she would probably have gotten up eventually.  My heart goes out to her but I am angry that she won't just have the commode until they've done the step.  She is now very quiet and I know she is tortured to find herself in this situation.  She is very shaky even just sitting in her chair.  She has always had shaky hands but they are shaking uncontrollably because I'm sure her nerves are shattered.

So what do I do now?  It's Sunday so probably couldn't get a commode even if she would agree.  I have to go out to work at 7.30am tomorrow morning and, as I have a leadership team meeting after school, won't be home until around 5.30pm.

Anyone any advice?  I am sitting here trying to think of what I can do to ensure her safety while I'm at work but am drawing a blank!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline

Its very hard to get someone to accept when they need a liittle extra help . I went through simillar with my gran who saw it as defeatist and meant that she was old when she still felt young!!, so I symapthise with you. You are obviously doing a fabulous job of caring for your mum, however please make sure that between caring for your mum and working, you still find a little you time or your health will suffer too!

Thinking of you, best wishesxx

Sharonx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Caroline

I'm so glad your mum agreed to the commode - at least you may get a little more sleep now. It seems so cruel that she has got to the point of being NED and has been affected by this terrible weakness. I hope something can get sorted out for you both soon, so you can get some peace of mind back. Thinking of you, Val X