Sunday September 2010 - My peace was short lived!

1 minute read time.

Mum got up to the bathroom twice during the night.  I went to sleep about 1 and at 2 heard her getting up.  I watched her going in, she struggled but made it.  As she came back out she stumbled a bit but was ok.  At 4am she visited the bathroom again.  This time I had to jump up and go and help her as she was holding the rails but just couldn't push up enought to get in.  At 8.30 I heard her get up and watched her go into the bathroom, she made it and I turned over hoping to maybe get some sleep.  I heard her come out of the bathroom and thought she was going down stairs but then realised I hadn't heard the stairlift after about 5 minutes.  I turned round and looked out to see her sitting on the bathroom step.  As she had stepped down out of the bathroom her legs had just given way and she had sunk onto the step.  I went out and lifted her up onto her feet.  If I hadn't been here I can't bare to think what might have happened.

She's clearly shaken up but when I suggested if she hd accepted a commode just until we got the new step built she told me she would probably have gotten up eventually.  My heart goes out to her but I am angry that she won't just have the commode until they've done the step.  She is now very quiet and I know she is tortured to find herself in this situation.  She is very shaky even just sitting in her chair.  She has always had shaky hands but they are shaking uncontrollably because I'm sure her nerves are shattered.

So what do I do now?  It's Sunday so probably couldn't get a commode even if she would agree.  I have to go out to work at 7.30am tomorrow morning and, as I have a leadership team meeting after school, won't be home until around 5.30pm.

Anyone any advice?  I am sitting here trying to think of what I can do to ensure her safety while I'm at work but am drawing a blank!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline, I really feel for you and especially your mum, do you have nurses coming in through the day? could you get them to come more regular or friends that could just pop in for a 'visit' maybe? How about getting them to bring the commode and just leave it in whatever room she is in and just say you have got it just incase? she may use it while you are not there if she feels shaky or if it is a pride thing. Do you have the alarm things in your house....you know like the red cords, not sure what they are called but my nana has them incase she takes a tumble.

I'm sorry you have probably thought of all these things already, i hope the day gets easier for you both.

Lots of love to you. xxxxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Mum has agreed to have a commode as a temporary measure until we get the half step built in.  I've rung the rapid response team and, hopefully, they will get a commode and a walking frame out to us later today.  My heart is broken for mum.  I can see tears welling up in her eyes but she's trying to not cry.  I think if she cries the floodgates will open for me.  I'm really struggling not to breakdown.  The woman I spoke to on the phone was lovely and when she told me not to worry they would sort it out I could feel myself getting near to tears.  Mum has agreed to use the commode in the night and during the day when I'm not here.  She will have a wash at the kitchen sink and I will take her into the bathroom and shower her when I get home from work.  My feeling of peace from yesterday has been shattered!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am so glad she has agreed to the commode, even as a temporary measure. That has taken a lot of courage on her part and may help you to feel better about her being on her own. In a way it will actually help her be more independant, not less.

Perhaps it will help you to get through Monday if you can call her a few times to reassure yourself she is OK?

Are there any day care/activity centres or clubs for older people in your area - or even near your school?

You could pop in at lunch time, sometimes bring her home after school and it might be fun for her. Perhaps Age Concern would know?

I read some posts on another site about steroids causing muscle weakness and the importance of eating large amounts of protein to help combat it. Adding protein powder to drinks and food was suggested - may be worth checking out with someone medical?

Hope you get some quality sleep and things improve for you both soon. You sound exhausted and in need of a bit of care yourself. I think a few good nights sleep and a few more good days like Sunday would make a world of difference.

(((((((hugs)))))))

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Evangeline, thanks for your response.  I will certainly enquire about protein.  Mum is a very young 74 year old and I've pushed just about as far as I can for now between the commode and the walking frame.  She has always said she will not go to any pensioner clubs etc. so I know that's a non starter.  Personally I would be happier if we had a care package in place for through the day but I daren't suggest it yet.  I need to give her time to see how she copes.  The two women who came with the commode were absolutely lovely and have clarified with mum that under no circumstances should she go into the bathroom and she has agreed.  She got a real fright this morning, she must have done to accept the need for a commode and a zimmer frame.  She tells me she's not depressed, just very fed up, but I'm not so sure.  I'm going to ask her nurse, Christine, if she will visit mum when I'm not here and assess her emotional state.  I can see that she is extremely nervous and that is make her even more unsteady.  We'll get there it'll just take time.  Bless her the last 10 months have seen her go from a very fit 73 year old who was marching around theme parks in Florida for hours to a very old 74 year old who is nervous and unsteady even in her own home.  I am going to have to look closely at my work status even though I know financially I can't give up work.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline,

You have been so strong since your Mum was diagnosed and of course there will be ups and downs.  You must do whatever you feel is right for you and her.  Whatever happens she knows that you are doing your best to help her. As your mother of course you will do your best and be there for her always.

hugs for you both

Love Stacey xx