Saturday August 15th 2010 - We've had a nice day!

2 minute read time.

Mum and I got up this morning and decided we'd ring the wig supplier in Blackpool and see if we could get an appointment to try some new wigs.  Mums NHS prescription will only allow her to have certain wigs and it doesn't include monofilament.  We've also found out that while some hospitals will allow you to put your prescription towards a more expensive wig and pay the difference Blackburn doesn't allow this (another post code lottery) so I said I would treat mum to whatever wig she wanted and not to consider the prescription thing.

We got an appointment for two o'clock and set off to Blackpool just before 1pm.  The girl in the shop was lovely and couldn't do enough for mum.  She tried on wig after wig and eventually we chose two that we liked but one was in the wrong colour and so it was hard to judge.  The girl is going to order the right colour on Monday and then we'll go back over when it comes in to make the decision.  The monofilament wigs are a lot more expensive but I must admit I was amazed at how much more realistic they are.  It is still a synthetic wig but because of the way it's hand tied on the top if you look through it it actually looks like mums scalp and you would never know it's not her own hair.  Both of the wigs will need trimming as they seem to all have quite heavy fringes which mum doesn't like but the girl will do that for us when we make our choice.

When we came out of the shop mum asked the girl if there was a 'wee pub' close by where we could get something to eat.  She pointed us in the direction of a place called Gwilligans and we had a lovely meal and a 'wee lager'!  The weather hadn't been great when we got there but the sun came out when we left the pub and we strolled back to the car in glorious sunshine.  When I say strolled I strolled mum was in her wheelchair.  I told her she'll have to lay off the french fancies as she is getting heavier to push! 

The use of the wheelchair was the only indication that mum still isn't 100% but she's still here and doing well so, hopefully, her legs will get stronger as time passes.   I think she's nervous more than anything.  Sometimes she has a wee stagger.  In fact she did it this morning before we went out and I think that's why she used her chair.  I asked her today if when she staggered she felt dizzy or whether her legs just felt weak and she said it's her legs.  I must admit it worries me and I feel a sense of panic each time it happens.  When she was on the slow release morphine she was often unsteady but this was accompanied by confusion.  She doesn't have the confusion now and is no longer taking the MST, however, she has taken the odd 5ml of oramorph to deal with the pain in her mouth so maybe it's that?  Could it be to do with the low sodium?  Anyway, as usual, I'm being a panic merchant and have drifted from my original point which was that we have really had a nice day and that's a blessing as in November last year there seemed little chance that she'd be with me now.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Celiswan,

Glad you had a nice day out wig hunting. Hope your Mums legs start to get stronger soon.

Take care and be safe Big Hugs Love Sarsfield.xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Morning Celiswan, what a lovely day out you had.  Just being together is great.  I didn't bother with the wig myself as I get/got such hot sweats the thought of a wig on top seemed a nightmare - I just put on a hat when I went out and left myself baldy at home.  Losing our hair has such a profound effect on us women, its our clowning glory and what helps us feel feminine so I hope your mum is happy with her wig when she gets it fitted/cut to a style.  You've both come a long way down a very rocky road but, yes you are still here so keep having as much fun as poss with mum.  God bless, keep well, Ann  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Glad you had such a nice day. I wonder if your doctor might refer your mum to a physio for some leg exercises and to help her build some confidence? Failing that, you might find someone working privately that could help. Just a thought.

Strange how different areas vary with the wig prescriptions. Ours only allow for one - even though the synthetic wigs have a fairly short life. I have had to buy my own second one (the first has "friction frizz" at the back), but there were the monofilament ones available and they are far superior as you say.

I use the old one around the house and the new for "best" in order to help make them last a bit longer!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline, glad you had a good day out with mum.

Best wishes, Christine xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi All

As of April 2009 all cancer patients gets free prescriptions so you should all get 2 wigs a year, hospitals do not tell you this to save money, plus if you havent got you medical exemption card when you get your first wig its still free if you are fitted as an in patient, plus as far as i know everyone can get a voucher for £200 towards the cost of a wig but due to nhs cuts they are trying to stop this,

hope this helps