RT and going on holiday!

1 minute read time.

I'm hoping some of you may be able to help with a decision we're trying to make.  Mum begins her RT on Tuesday.  She will have 10 days to her head and chest finishing on the 17th.  The thing is we want to go on holiday for a week beginning on May 29th. 

The oncologist says she is fit to fly but also indicated that the RT could make her a lot more tired than the chemo.  She was so tired with the chemo that she can't imagine being any more tired.  She really wants to go on the holiday and I think it would do us both good but we're concerned that she won't be fit for it less than 2 weeks after her RT.

Anyone had the same RT as mum who could offer advice on whether she should feel ok?  If she's not going to feel ill with it and is going to just be a bit more tired she feels she will be able to go.  We could wait until summer but we are not keen on the heat and we also think she is supposed to avoid the sun after treatment?  Any experiences you've had that you could share to help us decide would be appreciated.  We won't hold any of you responsible for our final decision so don't worry!!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline,

My Husband had the same RT at the end of March, though only for five days. He had his treatment in Liverpool and then just the short flight home to the Island. The tiredness lasted for only three days then the steroids kicked in and gave him so much energy that he painted the outside of the house - amazing. He had previously had chemo and radio  and wasn't too bad, even kept his hair but this time the radio took all his hair. Regarding the mask. He said it was ok because it's only like a polystyrene mesh and not claustrophobic. Yes, you're correct Caroline, no sunbathing and keep slapping on the Aqueous cream with a sun blocker.

I do hope that your Mum copes like my Husband,but as with all treatment - everybody's different and this is just one person's experience.

Just an aside - we are still battling with the dreaded 'fags' too. Gosh it's hard when you're an addict!!

I'll be thinking of your Mum on Tuesday Caroline and watching for an update from you.

Much love,

Tricia. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had RT to the chest and lung and also a few nodes on neck, I had problems eating for about 10 days could only eat soft food, which made me really tired as I was hungry but could not eat anything really, dont know if that would effect your mum.  However I think its the going back and forward every day that tires you out quite a bit.  However I was back to almost normal within 2 weeks.  I am going away on Sunday with my daughters and husband to cyprus and I have to say I am really looking forward to it, a bit of sunshine does us all good.  Hope you enjoy whatever you decide.  Best wishes to your mum I read all your blogs she is a marvel.

Hugs

Helen

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had rt for breast ca but though I could let you know that your mum should keep out of the sun - I'm not sure for how long, about 18 mts?  She will need a hat and good sunscreen.  Yes, she may be tired but the holiday will probably be the best thing ever for her to get away from it all.  Afterall, if she's on holiday she can sleep whenever she likes, do whatever she wants and not have to worry about normal day to day things at home and hopefully be able to switch off for a little while re cancer.  Have a great time and I hope you all go but please confer with radiologist/oncologist re sun exposure.  God bless, Ann.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, my mum only came out of hospital on wednesday after 5 intensive RT sessions.  Hers were on her spine and lung.  She has been in some pain with the swelling but it's still early days.  My mums partner wanted to whisk her away to the coast this weekend which is a lovely thought but it's too soon for my mum but i think in a couple of weeks there will be no stopping her.  I hope you manage to get away and have a lovely time....take care xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hey Caroline,

Not sure if this will be of any help but i had radiotherapy to my chest and neck last september, i had 4 weeks of it and did feel more tired than normal but not more tired than when i had my first type of chemo but then i guess all chemo's do differ but i was so unbelieveably tired with the first lot but in comparison the RT was a little better. I found that what made me tired seemed to be the routine of going to the hospital everyday rather than the actual treatment. Also sometimes there can be delays getting onto the machine and then the travelling back and forth to the hospital etc is what did it with me but i did seem to recover within a few weeks but i reckon 2 weeks after i would have been ok to go away because i'm sure u will probably be relaxing? And ur mum can always have a siesta if she needed one? It mite help her recover quicker if she has the holiday to look forward to? something to spur her on maybe?

The only thing i will advise to keep an eye on is her skin, i applied my aqueous cream everyday and didnt have any major problems and then 3 days after i had finished it was horrendous on my neck but i rang the hospital, went in and they dressed it straight away and within a few days it was alot better but i was told the reason this happened is cos it was to the side of my neck and apparently the dose is much stronger cos its a 'glancing' beam rather than full on as it was to my chest, this may not be the case with ur mum. But as i'm sure u had planned to, just take a hat and plenty of high factor, im syre u will still have a good time.

I hope i have helped in some small way, i personally think u should go but it is entirely up to u and ur mum, i really hope u get to go cos i think it will do u good :)

let us know ur decision!

Lots of love

Emma

xxx