November 27th 2009 - A good day!

1 minute read time.

Today has been a good day.  The first good day for a few weeks.  So why was it good?  Because my mum felt better.  She had another good nights sleep, the pain meds seem to be working, she was less tired than she has been since the chemo and we had quite a normal day.

I was a bit worried about the woman from the DWP coming this morning about the attendance allowance but she was really nice and didn't go into details about why mums case comes under special rules.  Thank goodness!  I was so worried she would say the dreaded words 'terminal diagnosis' or worse 'six months' but she didn't.  She also gave me the number of social services and told me to get onto them about a stairlift and to take anything they offered.

Later today mums district nurse phoned to check that mum was doing ok with the new pain meds and then a woman called Maureen phoned me to ask how I was.  My GP had registered me as a carer and she was from the Blackburn with Darwen carers service.  She offered me all sorts of help and is sending me out a pack giving details of what they can do to help me care for mum.

So you can see why it was a good day.  Mum was feeling a lot brighter and yet again the professionals were out in force to reassure us and offer help in any way they could give it.  I know it's there job but I have realised that there are still a lot of very good people in this world!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good to hear that oyu had a good day. The good ones make up for teh bad ones. Nice to feel good about today cel.

jazzchimp

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Celiswan

So pleased to hear that your mum had a really good day.  The lady from DWP is right, take whatever is offered and if you think of anything else, ask for that too, it will not only make your mums life easier, but yours too, and that's not as selfish as it sounds, you will always be your mums little girl and she will worry about you if she thinks you are struggling to cope with looking after her.

Wishing you both another good day today.  XX