November 24th 2009 - Today it was time to meet the district nurse!

1 minute read time.

Appointments, appointments, appointments!  Today it was the turn of the district nurses to come and introduce themselves and offer their support.  The two nurse that came, Kim and Julie, were absolutely lovely and very helpful.

As our toilet is upstairs they offered to get mum a comode!  It was a bit like when I offered to get her an electric scooter the other day.  'No way am I having a comode down here, I'll manage!!', so for now she'll struggle on up our 11 stairs to the toilet and then sit there until she gets her breath back.  Hey ho!  They also offered her a chair for the shower which she has accepted, progress!

She was able to tell them about the pain in her back and the pain in her hip that goes down her leg making her foot feel numb (pins and needles) and like she has cramp in her calf.  They went straight to her gp and had her meds changed. So instead of co-codamol 4 times a day backed up with oramorph in between times she now has amitriptyline at night and oramorph during the day.  We have also to keep a diary of pain and when she needs to take the oramorph.  We had the new prescription within an hour of them leaving us, very impressive.  I'm a bit concerned about the amitriptyline as it's an anti-depressant but seemingly it's also used for neuropathic pain?  Anyone else been given this?

I've got to say that my experience of the health care professionals we've met over the past few weeks has been that they are caring people who would do anything to help prevent mum from suffering.  So often the NHS gets bad press but I have no complaints regarding our experiences so far.  That's all for now folks, today was quite a GOOD DAY!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Celiswan, glad your making some

progress with your mum. I expect your

mum wants to be in control of her cancer

so shes not going to give in to having

her independence taken from her even

if its painful and she gets out of breath.

She sounds like a strong women,and its

great that you dont push her even tho

its a worry for you. Yes not all the NHS

is uncaring, and its great you your mum

has to nurses that are nice, makes things

less scary. Take one day at a time

With Love Lucylee. xxx.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi - i too have the upmost repect for the NHS and the service they have and still are providing for me - i was given amitriptyline along with other meds for my pain and i know of others who have been given it for their pain too - so dont worry about the anti depressant bit - i am now on mst slow releasing morphine and oral morphine for my pain - hope your mum begins to feel a little bit more comfortable and if she continues with her pain get her to speak to the nurses again as sometimes it takes a while to find the right meds for your pain - love karen - xoxo

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi celiswan,

I'm new to this site, but by no means new to being a carer, my dad lived with us for over 16 years after having a stroke, his health got worse over the years and I had to slowly bring in more equipment and help for him, the one thing I was determined to do was to preserve my dads dignity as best I could, I can understand your mums feelings about having a commode downstairs, it could be very distressing for her, have you asked about the possibility of a having a stairlift put in for her, that way she could 'go' in private and it would alleviate your worries about her getting breathless.

Sadly my dear dad is no longer with us, but I now find myself carer to my other half who has cancer on his spine, he is in pain every day and this affects the distance he can walk, I too had the conversation about an electric scooter, 'not having one of those' was his answer, I think it was more to do with his pride than whether he actually needed one, I was lucky enough to be offered one on loan, once it was here his curiosity got the better of him, he now realises that the scooter is a better option than the pain and suffering of walking, in fact he now finds it quite fun, we can take the dog for a walk together and he gets some much needed fresh air. I've now ordered a wheelchair so that we can go out in the car and he has the choice of walking or sitting down when it becomes too painful. Lets face it, the only alternative is to become a prisoner in your own home and that's no life for anyone.

As for the Amitriptyline - Years ago I had damage to my neck, very painful, the doc prescribed Diazepam, I was horrified as I knew it was given for depression, I phoned the pharmacist, and he explained that anti depressants can also be used to control pain.

I have also read some of your earlier blogs and I hope you have managed to sort out the Blue Badge, some of these forms are horrendous to fill in aren't they? and there seem to be so many of them.

I wish your mum and your family all the best, the life of a carer can be a hard one, and you feel helpless that you can't take away their pain or their fears, but I wouldn't have it any other way, my motto is; while I can do it, I will. A good district nurse is worth her weight in gold, we have a lovely bubbly one, she's great.

Wishing your mum more good days than bad ones.