November 23d 2009 - The Smoking cessation nurse!

1 minute read time.

As two 20 plus a day smokers mum and I made a decision that we have to stop.  Christine, mums CNS, referred us to the smoking cessation team at the NHS and this afternoon we were visited by the smoking cessation nurse.

Scheduled to come at 5pm she rung at 2.10pm and said she'd be with us in 20 minutes.  Mum was in bed so got up and got herself together.  In she came like a whirlwind!  I thought she'd be with us for perhaps 30 minutes max, but no,.  1 hour and 15 minutes later she departed having spent all that time trying to convert the converted!  We had to study graphs, mum hadn't a clue what she was looking at.  We saw a jar of tar, not nice.  Did a carbon monoxide test and eventually received our prescriptions for our patches and inhalators.

She was a lovely person but she could talk for England!  She is coming back on December 14th, 3 days after mums second chemo, but assured us she wouldn't be here as long next time.  Mum and I breathed a sigh of relief and had a giggle when she'd gone.  However, we are going to try and kick this disgusting, and cancer causing, habit.  So wish us luck!

Anonymous
  • Hi Caroline

Have been on patches and lozenges so far but have now being on the inhaler for a few days.

Can't say I like it to be honest.  It looks like a plastic tampon holder and it does not seem to be as effective as the lozenges or gum.

Will be interested to know how you get on.I was started on 21mg patches which were a bit too strong for me and made me rather lightheaded. I am now on 14mg patches which are much better.

Have been smoke free for over 5 weeks now.

Best of Luck to you both.

Sue x x x x  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi - it sounds as if you have a had a fun time of it today - good luck with your 'no smoking' but honestly, dont beat your selves up about it - you have a lot to deal with at the mo and sometimes we can rush into things when we are not quite ready for it - so make sure you are ready to make the decision about stopping smoking and make sure you stop at the right time or else you might just be setting yourselves up to fail and there is nothing worse than that - make sure you plan it very carefully and set yourselves personal targets - i know you want to do it together and support each other but you have to do what is right for you both as indivduals as well - do i make sense - i am not saying dont do it - but i am saying dont rush it - i hope it all goes well for you both and i will keep looking to see how you are both getting on - good luck to you both - karen - xoxo

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I agree with Karen, only do it if you really want to. I have never smoked but my husband does. He gave up for 18months when his mother was diagnosed with cancer, she smoked but didn't give up. When she became terminally ill he started again because he needed something to take the stress off, that was 15 years ago. I know that with me having breast cancer there is no way he could give up because he wouldn't be able to cope, even though I would love him to. I wish you all the luck in the world and with you both supporting each other you can do it. Take it one step at a time and you will reach your goal.

best wishes Love and hugs Amanda xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good luck with the quitting.

Don't forget to put the money you would have spent each day in a pot.  Watching it grow might add another stimulus to help you quit.

Cheers,  Mike

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

well done sue, keep up the good work.  I stopped for 5 years before and it was the inhalator I used with nothing else.  Thanks to all of you for your messages.  I've to pick up our prescriptions later today so we will start tomorrow.  It is a bad time to try and stop but we'll give it a go and not beat ourselves up if we don't manage some days.  The nurse has told us that if we can't manage just take the patch off and smoke.  We've to have a cig in the morning before putting the patch on and then take it off at night and have a couple.  We can also have one with the patch on so we are not cutting them out altogether to begin with.  We've to do this until December 14th then we'll get stronger patches and not have any.  There's never a good time to do this so we'll give it a go.  If we can do it now maybe there'll be less chance of us starting again in stressful situations in the future.  My mum desperately wants me to stop, understandably.