November 20th 2009 - don't know what to do!

1 minute read time.

Mum is not good at all.  She's really tired and breathlless. 'Wheezing like and old cart horse' as she says!  I've had the week off work to be with her after this first chemo and am due to go back on Monday.  Last night she told me if she was being honest she was scared about being on her own on Monday.  It's the first ime she's admitted she is frightened.  The nurse went on at great length about all the things we have to look out for as her immune system is weakened and how quick we had to respond to rises in temperature etc and I think it's preying on mums mind.  Now that I know she's scared it preying even more on mine.

My boss has been fab and I don't want to take advantage of that, especially since I know I will need time off as we go through this nightmare.  I am in an absolute quandry and don't know that I can actually leave her on her own on Monday.  This is all so new and maybe once we've been through this first cycle we'll cope better with the range of side effects and emotions that we will go through.

We also received a form about attendance allowance yesterday.  I assume mums CNS has arranged it and someone is coming to see mum about it next Friday.  I'm really worried as reading through the 45 pages I'm wondering whether she is thought to be in the special conditions category.  We've deliberately not asked for a prognosis and I'm terrified this person will say mum will get it because she has a terminal prognosis.  I can't have that, even if it's true!  She doesn't want to know anything and just wants to get on with the treatment.  That's her way of dealing with it and we are still talking about our summer holiday.  If she falls into the special conditions category it means they don't expect her to be around by then.  I can't stand the thought of her finding that out and I don't want to know as it would maybe effect the way I am with her and I want us to be as normal as possible. 

If anyone has been in a similar situation, which I'm sure many of you have, any advice would be welcome. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Celiswan - agree with jackie here. I was the same (& still am with my sister) regarding her catching bugs etc. Please don't tear yourself apart being @ work & home. If you don't work far from your mum then I'm sure she will be ok if she knows you are nearby. I was lucky as my sisters chemo only took about 3 hours & I works 20mins away. Your mum is keen to carry on with treatment so that is a good attitude. As long as you keep a check on temperature then all will be fine & just warn 'dodgy' people to keep away. At least my sister was regular with her temperature rise as it always happened in the middle of the night @ the weekend, but we got through it fine. Of course your mum is scared & it takes guts to admit this- this took some prising out of my sister & I could kick myself now for not realising how bloody scared she was. Not sure if this helps or not, but you aren't alone & just voice you worries etc on here as there is always somebody who can put your mind at rest.

Jackie- just a note, but best not put your personal e-mail so visible on here as you will be wide open to spammers.

jewelsXX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

thanks Jewels - yes meant to send as a PM - but thanks

• Hi Caroline

I am sure you Mum will start to feel a little better soon as the first week after chemo is usually the worst.

I think the oncologists frighten us with the temperature rising scenario . Mine was normal throughout. I stopped taking my temperature after the first chemo on a daily basis and only took it if I felt under the weather at all.

Used to get out and about on weeks 2 and 3 being careful not to sit or stand near anyone if I went for a coffee or shopping. Life does go on. Just ask visitors if they do not feel 100% to keep away.

Best of luck. Chemo is a frightening experience I know.

Best of Luck

Sue x x x