May 17th 2010 - Treatment finished!

1 minute read time.

194 days since mums diagnosis and her treatment is finished!  She's gone from being a 'very young for her age', fit and healthy 73 year old to a 'looks her age' 74 year old who is nervous about going out on her own because she feels unsteady on her feet and has lost a lot of her confidence.

The road has been tough but she has never complained and has rarely shed a tear.  She has been extremely tired but has made light of it and smiled through most of it.  We have even had a lot of laughs.  This journey has shown me that I didn't really know her as I could never have imagined how strong and positive she could be even at the darkest moments. 

The 10 days of RT have been the worst for her and she has experienced every side effect she was warned about.  I watched her breathe a sigh of relief tonight as we left the hospital and my heart went out to her.  WE got home around 6.30pm by 8pm she had given in and gone to bed.  I woke her at 10pm to give her her meds.  She seemed disoriented, sat up, took them and promptly lay down and went straight back to sleep.  I am exhausted just watching her go through everything and I can't begin to imagine how exhausted she must be.  I know tomorrow she'll 'pick herself up, dust herself down and start all over again!'

She is an incredible woman and I am so proud of her.  Tomorrow she begins the next stage of this journey and I pray she will feel a little more like her old self with every passing day.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline,

You have good right to be so proud of your Mum. What a wonderfully strong Lady. May she now go from strength to strength and soon be able to have that much longed for holiday.

Thinking of you both and sending positive thoughts and every good wish.

Love, Tricia. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Caroline... I know how you are feeling, Radio is a tough nut with this  type of cancer isnt it.  I  personally wish my mum hadn't gone through with it... but she wanted a good shot at prevention. I hope your mum gets better soon , she has the will for sure..

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hope your mum gets her confidence back bit by bit...

maybe a little bit of time and slowly your mum will get back more like her old self...its suprising how we patients can pick up even when we think we never will...

all the best...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline - hope your Mum regains some of her strength soon. Thinking of you both, and sending you best wishes. Val