January 6th 2010 - Still snowed in!

2 minute read time.

I got a text this morning at 6.15am saying school would be closed for the second day because of the snow.  There was no way I could have got my car out of the street anyway so it was just as well.  Mum is getting very used to me being at home to keep her company and I know when we do re-open she will be a bit down at being on her own BUT needs must!  We are definitely not open again tomorrow but are hoping to get the car park and yards cleared so that we can open on Friday.

Mum needed a prescription collecting today so at 9am I set off like Nanook of the North to hike to the health centre some two miles from the house.  I actually enjoyed being out in the fresh air and wished that mum had been fit enough to come with me.  Something she would've been able to do a few months ago.  I also asked the pharmacist about mum spots on her wee bald head which have got yellow heads again.  She said mum would be better not to wear her wig in the houseas her head was probably being rubbed by it and sweating under it so I broached the subject, again, when I got home.

After some discussion she agreed to look on the internet at some possible hats that would be soft and cool.  We have ordered a couple today so, hopefully she'll take the wig off in the house and ive her head a chance to heal.  We will also get the district nurse to look at it tomorrow and see whether it would be worth getting a course of antibiotics in case there is some infection, something her oncologist said it might be worth doing if the yellow tops came back which they have.

Mum was a bit agitated today because she is concerned that the district nurse won't get here to take her bloods pre chemo but I phoned them up and they assured me they would drive as far as they could and then walk in.  I have cleared my car of snow so that if they don't make it I can attempt to drive her over to the hospital which isn't too far and is mainly main road.  We don't want her to miss her chemo as she should have it every three weeks but because it was due on New Years day it was postponed to this Friday meaning another four week gap.  If we don't make it on Friday she would have to wait another week and we're not keen on that.

We are also supposed to be going to Manchester on Friday night to see the sound of music.  She's really looking forward to it so I hope we can get there.  She is still feeling well and after being assured that the nurse would get here, and not to worry, was in good spirits. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

HI Cels

Just a thought about your mum's head - I don't know whether you are any good with a needle, but I made myself some hats out of old teeshirts.  I wore them in hospital and at home when my head got cold.  I also sometimes wore them in bed when it was very cold!  

They are very easy to make, just make a tube the size of your mum's head then sew along the one end, and just stitch the two corners together.  You can always sew a seam along the other end to make it neat.

I made four of these, so always had a clean one to wear - they nicknamed me Noddy in the hospital!

Lets hope the weather warms up before Friday so you can get to the hospital and to see the VonTrapps!

Take Care

Jo

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Very clever Jo we might give that a go, thanks. XX