January 2nd 2010 - A couple of coughing spasms!

1 minute read time.

Mum was up a couple of times during the night with a bout of coughing.  She took some oramorph and that does calm it but it's worrying as the cough had been practically non-existent until boxing night.  It only seems to happen when she is in bed and I'm hoping it may be to do with her really cutting down on her smoking. 

We had hoped to have stopped completely by now but are trying not to beat ourselves up about not having succeeded.  I know when we've stopped before the cough got worse before it got better.  We are both probably 30 a day smokers (may be conservative estimate on some days) and we are both managing on about 5 a day at the moment but finding it really hard.  Anyone else get a cough when they were giving up?

When she got up this morning she also had some pain around her chest and rib area.  I think this is as a result of the coughing bouts.  I hope so.  Having just been told on Thursday how well mum was doing and how well the cancer was responding to the chemo in terms of shrinking this coughing and pain has given us a little bit of a jolt.  I was hoping we'd get a fairly calm time until her chemo on Friday but it's amazing how as soon as she has a coughing spasm or a niggle of pain we immediately begin to think it's the cancer that's causing it.  So we're still on the rocky road, the rollercoaster and I guess we will remain on it.

The day itself has been fine.  Mum has slept a fair bit but has generally felt ok and has not done any coughing at all.  2.5 ml of oramorph has got rid of the pain in her chest.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Celiswan,

I'm just wondering if the doctor is aware of your mums cough?  It is possible the coughing is due to cutting down smoking but it could also be the signs of a chest infection and she may need antibiotics to help, especially if she is undergoing chemo her emune system could make her easily opoen to catch infections, if in doubt please raise your concerns to her doc or mac nurse.

Hopefully she will feel comfortable and painfree asap.

Take cae and best wishes Ren xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Ren. We did mention to Dr Mehta and he didn't seem concerned.  Mum has been sweating a lot in bed as well and I took her temp this morning which is fine so we'll keep an eye on it.  If it gets any worse we'll see about an antibiotic.  Her district nurse is coming on Thursday to take her blood so we'll mention it then if need be.