January 29th 2010 - Blood count low so no chemo!

Less than one minute read time.

I got a phonecall from mums chemo nurse this morning to say mum couldn't have her chemo.  Seemingly her neutrophyls are low, not sure if that's right?!  Anyway she now has to have her bloods done again next Thursday and hopefully will have her chemo on Friday.  They have assured us this is quite common and that it's nothing to worry about but mum is upset about it, as I am.  She seems so well that we never thought for a minute there would be a problem.  This delay will probably put paid to our trip to London at half term because mum will probably be too tired and her immune system will be at it's lowest now.  Very disappointing but hey ho!

Anonymous
  • Hi

I had this happen twice and tell your mum not to worry, i also felt well and could not understand even though i new it had to be a count of 1 or above. The consultant came on the ward to explain that if they went ahead then it would only make me ill and next time it would be worse. We chatted and I understood where he was coming from and that they had my best interests at heart.

What I think really concerned me was the delay in treatment but again when you see the bigger picture from their position then this often happens at some point during the course of treatment.

To address this I ended up having an injection the day after chemo to boost the neutraphil count and it worked.

best wishes

john

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Celis, sorry your Mums chemo has been delayed, but l am sure its for the best of reasons. I have been very lucky and never had delayed treatment. twice l have had to have a second blood test but always managed to scrape through. Hope that the bloods are ok for next week.

love Rosie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sorry your mums chemo was cancelled it happens to lots of people, I hope the bloods are ok for next week. Love Linda

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hey Caroline

Sorry to hear you Mum's upset about the blood counts.  My chemo was totally different and my neutrophils went down between every course.  I found the best thing is to just go with it.  I got to the stage where I could tell when they were low, because I felt poorly.

I know it's disappointing, especially when you have made plans, but perhaps you could set up a plan B - maybe think of something else to to or rearrange.  I know it's not ideal and not what you want, but I learned quite early on that making future plans is good and it gives you things to look forward to, but it's never wise to pin too much hope on the finer details as in my experience it is doomed to fail (goodness, I sound miserable, I don't mean to just trying to help!)

Stay positive and try to just roll with it - it is all quite normal.

Take care of yourself and your mum and try to have a relaxing weekend - the weather is lovely today although cold.  Perhaps a little drive would do you both good.

Jo