January 28th 2010 - Dr Mehta still pleased!

2 minute read time.

Dr Mehta is still pleased with how mum seems to be doing on the chemo.  She asked about the RT and we had a wee bit of a sticky moment because originally he said sh would have 5 to her head and 5 to her chest.  He said it was a possibility but the decision would be made when mum finished her chemo.  He went on to say that the problem was that with people mums age it could really knock them for six for 2 or 3 months and although we don't know the prognosis 2 or 3 months of good quality time with her family may be better that 2 to 3 months of extreme tiredness and bad side effects.

Mum took it that he was saying because she's 74 it wasn't worth doing it whereasif she'd been younger he would have given it a go.  I don't think that was what he was saying at all but am not quite sure what he was saying.  I got the impression he was saying if you've not got long you might as well enjoy the time you have.  That was scary and I think I may contact mums CNS, Christine, and ask for some clarification.  I would have been happier if he had just said mum was doing so well with the chemo that he didn't think it would be necessary to give her the RT to her head.  That would have made her even more positive in her outlook which I feel is a big part of how well she is doing.  It's that PMA thing!

We know it's terminal but mum has told me not to use that word as it makes her feel she is going to die tomorrow.  So she tells people she knows it can't be cured but she's feeling well at the moment and the chemo is doing it's job.  She is so positive and I don't want any niggling doubts to creep in.  I tried to explain that the idea of the RT to the brain was in case it had spread there but that maybe they felt now that it hadn't.  I hope that's what it is as he seemed to indicate that he would only do it if there was cancer in her brain and not as a sort of 'belt and braces' as he had first planned.

Anyway I've told her we have got to be guided by him as he is the expert who is dealing with this on a daily basis.  She agrees with that. I think she was just worried it was an age thing and because she feels strong she thinks she could cope with the side effects just as well as a younger person.  To be honest I think she could but I don't want her to have it if she doesn't need it as I've read about the tiredness, horrific headaches, lack of ability to sleep, memory loss (which he mentioned) etc etc.  So we'll see what happens at the end of her chemo.  Number 4 of 6 tomorrow. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Just want to say that my husband's palliative care consultant used the phrase life-limiting illness which we liked very much. Terminal illness is a bit gloomy and negative and as your mum says makes you think death is imminent.

Best regards to you and your mum. She sounds a very strong and brave lady. I love the positive thing - that's what my husband believes and he's doing so much better than originally anticipated.

Love Claire