January 18th 2010 - To smoke or not to smoke?!

1 minute read time.

The stairlift guy arrived dead on 9am and was finished by 11.30am.  Now that it's been fitted mum is quite happy to use it.  She was really tired when I came home at lunch time and has gone back to bed now.  She was, however, in good spirits and used her new toy to get upstairs to her bedroom.  I think she thought it would get in the way but now that she sees it's unobtrusive she's quite happy.

The dreaded smoking cessation nurse is coming at 4.30pm and mum has tried to get me to cancel.  She has not put a patch on again today probably because she is so wound up at the thought of this woman coming.  She says she may stay in bed and if she is asleep I will leave her there and deal with the woman myself.  I'm going to clarify that the patches are helping us to cut down significantly but that neither of us are in the right frame of mind to give up completely at the moment.  If she doesn't like it she can lump it as far as I'm concerned.  If I was an alcoholic I would be given money for alcohol!  Just found that out recently.  If I was a heroine addict? I'd be given methadone every day at the chemist, straight to the front of the queue!  We need to do this for ourselves and we won't succeed if someone tries to bully us into stopping.  If she won't continue to prescribe the patches for us to help us keep our smoking to a minimum she can shove them where the sun don't shine to be honest!  I'll buy the patches myself.  I'm getting wound up just thinking about it.  Oh well I'll go now and have a cig to help me calm down before she comes!  Mum and I have failed miserably since she was last here and yet prior to her visit were down to 3-5 a day.  I suppose we shouldn't blame anyone but ourselves and by the same token we will have to sort ourselves out and get back on track.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Jo and Juls.  I really appreciate your views and agree with you both wholeheartedly and it doesn't bother me one bit that you are both non-smokers.  I see what you mean about slowing the breathing Jo but as I am addicted to the poisons in the cigs I don't think taking slow breaths of fresh air would work.  I do think, however, that the idea of allowing myself so many a day could work and may just give that a go.  If I do I'll let you know how I get on.  You are both right that it is down to the individual and that no amount of outside pressure would make me do it, in fact, It makes me do it more.  It's up to me and mum girls and we'll try the 'not today' rather than 'never again' approach as that seems to work for us.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well done Bali, that's fantastic.  I wish my mum could do what you did but she doesn't seem to be able to.  Her oncologist said it can work one of two ways.  Some people give up immediately they find out they've got lung cancer others think 'what the hell!' it's too late now.  My mum seems to fall in between the two.  She knows she should give up, she sort of wants to give up but she is struggling to give up, however, is coping with cutting down.  My position is different I don't have cancer but I know my mum has because she is a smoker.  Again I know I shouldn't smoke,  I sort of want to stop but am not in the place yet where I can just not have any more.  I'm not ready.  I am using cigs as an emotional crutch, pathetic, but true.  Tomorrow, I intend not to smoke.  If I do I won't beat myself up just try not to on Wednesday and so on.  I am a 30-40 a day addict so if I can even half that at the moment it's got to be an improvement.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Celiswan 30-40 a day that is some serious habit.  There is a pill I think called Champix that may be of use.  You said I don't have cancer are you 100%? I also though that can't happen to me... I use to moan about the no-smokers and how we are paying the NHS for them and so on. In all honestly is not worthy!  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Celiswan

My husband was once a 60 a day smoker.  However, for today he now is a non smoker, tomorrow he aims to be a non smoker as wel, the day after he will worry about that when the time comes.  He had up to mid summer of '95 had in total 4 goes at giving up smoking they ranged between 6 months and 3 yrs, until ond day back in '95 when he announced he had had enough of being controlled by his habit and went cold turkey, even now he still works on the one day at a time basis.

2 of our 3 children smoke, his father did as did my mother, so I do understand how this habit takes over.

best wishes and only think of this / next hour in this day.  tomorrow will be another day with different demands xxx good luck !

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Bali.  I'm not saying it can't happen to me I know it certainly can.  My lovely mum is proof of that!  No I don't suppose I am 100% I don't have it but even if I did just like mum I don't know that I could give up just like that even then.  I've heard about the champix and hope that if I can cut right down I will try those to stop completely.  You are right in all that you say and it's not worth it BUT I'm just not in the right place to stop at the moment.