January 12th 2010 - A better day!

1 minute read time.

When I got home from work today mum said that Jayne, her district nurse, had been pointing out how well she was doing and saying that she had never gone in to one of her patients and found them ironing before!  Can I just point out that I had warned mum to leave the ironing for me BUT that's mum! 

Mum also talked to Jayne about the problems she was having with trying to give up smoking and told her about the response of the smoking cessation nurse.  Jayne told her not to get worked up worrying about the smoking.  When she felt she could cut down she should and if she felt she couldn't and had to have a cigarette to do so.  I really want mum to give up and she was doing so well before that woman came last Monday but as mum pointed out it's difficult for her when she's in all day herself and everything is buzzing through her head.  I can accept that and have asked her just to try and cut down a bit for now.  To be honest she's sleeping so much that sh is smoking less anyway.

We will try to get her back on the patches at the weekend when I'm at home and we can encourage each other.  I do appreciate that she's on her own all day and since the chemo on Friday she has been down because she's felt quite poorly.  However,  I think Jayne telling her how well she's doing had bucked her up a bit and she is in better spirits.  She's still tired today but not as bad as she's was Sunday and Monday so, hopefully, she's picking up.  Thank you to Jayne for helping mum see that she is coping really well with her illness.  The smoking cessation nurse is coming next Monday and I think we may well tell her not to come back. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I like the sound of your Mum. Long may she iron!

It is easier giving up when you both do it together and I wish you both well.

Grace X

• Hi Caroline

From 30+ a day you and your Mum are doing really well. Don't be bullied. It is hard I know but you will both get there in the end.

Love

Sue xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Glad to hear that your Mum is picking up a bit - and what is it with Mums and ironing? When mine was younger and was babysitting for me, I came home after a night out to find she had done a whole week's worth of ironing for me. It made me feel so guilty I hid my ironing after that! Take care, stay strong, Val X