Happy Birthday mum, please take care of Charly! - November 8th 2011

2 minute read time.

Today would have been my mums 76th birthday.  Her last birthday on this earth was on November 8th 2009 just 3 days after she was diagnosed with terminal small cell lung cancer.  Mum passed away on October 14th 2010 and so, last year, her birthday was a very sad day for me and I'm not sure I even got out of bed.

Today I learned that our sweet wee Charly earned her pink glittery angel wings.  Mum was diagnosed just weeks before Charly and would ask me every day how she was doing.  She continued to ask about Charly even when she experienced terrible confusion due to low sodium and wasn't always sure who I was!  The last time mum asked me about Charly was just 3 days before she passed away.  She was sleeping a lot by this point but when she woke would say 'have you heard how wee Charly is?' 

Charly will always hold a special place in my heart, as will Anna, Keith and Jack, and now every year when I light a candle for mums birthday I will also light one for Charly.  Tonight I am lighting this candle for both of them.

tatty animated candle and scarf Pictures, Images and PhotosI feel sure my mum will have witnessed the most beautiful angel, with pink glittery wings, arriving in Heaven late last night.  Here is a story someone posted on Mac some time ago that I thought was beautiful.  I have used a wee bit of poetic license but the message remains intact.

The Lily Pad Story

Once, in a little pond, in the muddy water under the lily pads, there lived a little water beetle in a community of water beetles. She lived a simple and comfortable life in the pond surrounded and loved by family and friends. Once in a while, sadness would come to the community when one of their fellow beetles would climb the stem of a lily pad and would never be seen again. The little beetle knew when this happened; her friend was dead; gone forever.

Then, one day, the little water beetle felt an irresistible urge to climb up that stem. However, she was determined that she would not leave forever. She would come back and tell her family and friends what she had found at the top. When she reached the top and climbed out of the water onto the surface of the lily pad, she was so tired, and the sun felt so warm, that she decided she must take a nap. As she slept, her body changed, and when she woke up, she had turned into a beautiful butterfly with pink glittery wings and a slender body designed for flying.

So, fly she did! And, as she soared she saw the beauty of a whole new world. Then she remembered her family and friends and knew they would be thinking by now that she was dead. She wanted to go back to tell them all that she was now more alive than she had ever been before. Her life had been fulfilled rather than ended but her new body would not go down into the water. She could not get back to tell her family and friends the good news. Then she understood; their time would come; they too would know what she now knew and they would meet again. So, she raised her wings and flew off into her joyous new life!

Love and hugs to who all who need them.  XX

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Ann Keith and Jack,

This is the saddest message I have ever written on this or any other site. When I learned your little Angel had passed away. I sat down and cried and cried, until I could cry no more.

Charly is now a little Angel herself looking down on her Loving caring Family. Enjoy playing with the Angels Sweetheart. They will enjoy playing with you. May you Rest in Peace.

For the last time Take care and be safe Big Hugs Love Sarsfield.xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Caroline Such a wonderful story to share and yes, non of us know for sure what's to come, so there's no harm in hoping Love and best wishes to you on your dear mums birthday, I am sure you still miss her deeply. I hope you are doing ok and are looking to the future, safe in the knowledge that your mum is watching over you. The news about little Charly is so very sad and like you, I hope she is at peace and enjoying a world we are yet to know Vikki x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Caroline,

Thank you for sharing what you have written about your dear wee Mum and also Charly. I'm sure you are right in what you say that your Mum will have spotted Charly and her beautiful pink glittery wings as soon as she arrived and will be looking out for her.

Love and special thoughts and prayers to you on your Mum's birthday and also for Anna, Keith and Jack. I also lit a candle for your Mum and for Charly today.

Thinking of you. Love, Rose x x x x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline,

I think all that can be said has been said, Your story really does make one think of just what might be. I can only echo what others have expressed so much better, our hearts have been touched by a shared love. Just as Anna, Keith and Jack are hurting, we all know that no child could be more loved.

It is your Mums birthday and you too should be so proud of the love and care you lavished on her when it was needed most, I know it is not your style but you should also be so proud of what you managed to do and are an example to others of just what love can achieve.

Big Gentle Hugs to a real Lady whom I am proud to call a friend XX

John xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline,

What a beautiful story, it's lovely and sad at the same time. Happy birthday to your mum, we've not done the 1st birthday without my dad yet, we've got that treat to come on the 23rd December, but I imagine it's hard and so I'll be thinking of you on the 2nd birthday without your mum. Thank you for letting me know that you can get through it and that you aren't expected to just 'be fine' on the day.

It's sad news about Charly and I'll be thinking of her family, who she'll be looking down on from whichever happy place she and her pink, glittery wings are now. May they eventually find peace in the memories they have of her.

All the best, Vikki x