December 30th 2009 - Don't stop chatting!

1 minute read time.

Before I get on to th title of this latest blog let me tell you how my mum is today.  She is having another good day although she is having a lot of lower back pain.  This is something she had before her cancer but she says it seems worse.  It may be that just because she feels better she is doing more and so the pain has reared it's ugly head.  It seems to be bending up and down that does it and, as I've explained, dragging sheets etc out of the washer is maybe not adviseable!  We know her bones are ok as she had the scan which was clear so I'm hoping it's totally unrelated.  Tomorrow she has her chest x-ray and appointment with the oncologist although won't get her chemo until next Friday because there's no chemo in new years day.

So 'Don't stop chatting!'  Why?  Well Mum and I have only been dealing with this dreaded disease for a very short time and if it hadn't been for finding chat I don't know how I would have coped.  Anyone who has got to know me knows that I am with mum 24/7 as she lives with me.  My job, when I'm with her, is to be strong and positive and since she's been ill I've rarely gone out and left her on her own, apart from to work, when there's no real chance to talk to anyone about the situation.  At the start I had loads of questions and as time goes on I know I'll have lots more.  Who did I, and will I, turn to?  The people in chat.  So to any of you who have not given chat a chance, or have been scathing of it why not just steer clear of it?  Please don't criticise it and suggest it is closed down as for me it is the best thing being able to talk to people in the same or similar situation as myself in real time and I have only ever met friendly, helpful and compassionate people on there!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

If you come onto chat, just say hello and ohters will say hello too. If you need to talk to someone and want to know if anyone else has been there ask and peeple on the whole will respond in a kind and caring way. Chat has been my lifeline too . It is like any other situation when you do not know anyone at first .

If your new just say hi I am new and you will find  that others will respond. We are in this together guys.

Best wishes x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Debbie I certainly will talk to you if I see you but don't be afraid to chip in.  Just say hi I'm new here and people will respond ask you how you are, what your story is etc.  I'd like to point out that no chat is private as everyone can see everything unless you invite someone for a private chat, which people sometimes do if it's busy and they're want to help someone or ask a question or generally just chat privately.  When you do that no one else can see your conversation.  There will be people in the middle of conversations so just give them time and chip in.  I tend to say hi and how is everyone and then just read and join in when I can but if I have come in for something specific then I say so, e.g. if I'm worried about something or have a question.  Please don't feel that you are an outsider.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Chat has been my life line and i now have so many cyber friends who helped me thru the dark days of mums illness and after and of course still do

Chat on - it helps each other - and above all else release ur worries - i am sure someone can help

Hugs

Chris xxx