December 2nd 2009 - The giant shower stool!

2 minute read time.

Today my mum had her shower stool delivered.  What a laugh!  My mum and I can sit on it side by side with room to spare.  I rung up to ask them to change it; easier said than done.  The nurse had pressed the wrong button on the online ordering system I was told and they would sort it out.  I then got a phonecall to say that the place the stool came from only does extra large and so now the nurse will have to come out to mum and prescribe a standard stool for her.  All seems a bit strange to me.  I will now have to take the prescription to the local disability shop and they will give me a stool.  To let you understand my mum is 5'1" and a size 12-14.  We have a massive shower in the bathroom.  The stool is so big it won't fit in our shower and why would the district nurse who has met mum order her an extra large stool?  They don't half make life difficult.

Now onto social services.  The woman from the DWP gave me a phone number and told me to contact social services to set the wheels in motion for getting her a stairlift.  I rung on Friday as advised and explained mums situation and the fact that she is to receive attendance allowance under special rules.  Our details were taken and I was told that someone would contact me within 48 hours to arrange a visit.  As it was the weekend I expected a phonecall by end of business Tuesday.  It is now 7.30pm Wednesday night and no phone call!  The woman from the DWP did say it was important to contact them now as they can drag their feet.  It would seem she's right!  Anyone managed to get a stairlift out of them?  If so can you indicate how long it took?

On a much more positive note mum has been less tired today and says she feels a lot brighter.  She normally goes back to bed after every meal but has not gone back after tea tonight and says for the first time she doesn't feel tired.  Her 'adopted' grandchildren came in after school today and had a cuppa with her because I had a parents evening.  She said they all had a laugh about the stool and when I got home she was in good spirits.

Anonymous
  • Hi Caroline

A bath stool for 2 how cosy. Perhaps you could take it to your local swimming pool. They might have large shower rooms. lol

It all takes so much time and energy to get things sorted. Sorry have no exprience of stair lifts.

Glad your Mum has been less tired today. Another outing at the weekend I hope.

Love

Sue x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline,

I'm sorry, but that is so funny, I now have visions of you and your mum sat side by side with your shower caps on and loofers at the ready. lol.  These mistakes are so frustrating, but it's nice to see that it gave your mum something to laugh about.

As for Social Services...just keep them on their toes, you have to give them a little push sometimes to get them moving.

Take care

Hope for more laughing tomorrow, it's better than any medicine.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Glad your mum had a laugh along with you Celi as Blue said it really is the best medicine, Love to you both Linda

• I have a vision of people from 'The Borrowers' trying to get up on the stool. It is very funny. Thank you for sharing. On a serious note though, it must be frustrating.

Don't let the social services off the hook regards the stairlift. You must press home the importance of your mum being able to retain a little independance in accessing the upstairs rooms.  

So pleased to hear that she feels a little less tired today.

Love and angel hugs x x Patricia x x