December 19th 2009 - Mum says she feels quite well today!

2 minute read time.

It's 26 years today since my dad died and always a difficult day, even now.  Mum and I decided to just have a quiet day although I ran around with the duster and hoover and also wrapped all the presents.  I still really miss my dad and I know my mum does but I find now I can think about how much I love him and how much I enjoyed my time with him rather than how awful it was for us when he passed away.  Funnily enough I think we have handled it better this year than any other year previously.

Mum was tired again this morning and went back to bed until lunch time but did not sleep again during the day.  She is actually struggling to get to sleep now which is unusual.  Before she was ill she didn't really sleep that well or maybe just didn't need that much sleep but since she's been ill she has slept a lot.  In fact she has needed a lot of sleep for probably 12 months prior to her diagnosis.  After the first chemo she was wiped out but this time that only seemed to last about 5 days.  Today she told me she actually felt quite well!  So how do I feel today?  I actually feel quite good.  Never thought I'd say that on the anniversary of dads passing!  Why do I feel quite good?  Easy, because mum does! 

We have also decided not to give up on going to Scotland for Christmas and will wait and see what the weather is like on Tuesday.  If the roads are clear and my cousin is sufficiently recovered from her cold we'll get in the car and drive up.  If it doesn't work out we'll have a nice Christmas here.  My uncle is desperate for us to go up.  Him and my aunt are using vicks first defense in an effort to stay free of the cold and have got hand gel for everyone who comes in to use.  Bless them!

Another really positive thing that happened today was that two of my godchildren visited.  Thomas is 9 and Freya is 4.  They haven't seen mum since she had her head shaved and started wearing her wig so I was concerned to see their reaction.  What reaction?  They didn't even notice!  I thought maybe Naomi, their mum, had warned them but she hadn't even mentioned it to them as mum had said to just wait and see if they noticed.  My mum was absolutely delighted and I think now believes the wig is just like her own hair, which is what we all told her!  Thanks Thomas and Freya for giving mum a boost to her PMA!! 

One little concern is that she has a number of yellow topped spots on her bald head.  A bit like teenagers get on their face that can turn into acne.  If anyone reads this and has any knowledge or experience of this can you post here.  Especially if you got something that cleared it up.  I think it's probably happened because her head is sweating inside her wig.  She won't wear the little stocking thing that goes under it as she doesn't like it and has not felt the wig irritate her but I do remember her taking it off the other night because her head was sweating.  Any advice welcome!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi celis, so pleased to hear both you and your mum had a peaceful day, just had to comment on thomas and freyas no reaction to mums wig, i find that kids are much more accepting of new situations than adults i have lost all my hair trough the chemoand my 2n half year old grandson wouldnt accept my wig(mind you neither could i tee hee)he often asks r u sad nana , he then puts his had on my head n goes tickle tickle which brings smile to my face everytime,i would suggest e45 4 mums scalp i had some of these spots on side of head worked for me i also use a small ammount of baby oil which i rub in then wipe off it keeps scalp from becoming dry hope this helps, hope you manage to go to scotland will do you both good to get away, heres to another peaceful day love julie 43 xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Cel, yep my mum had those spots on head and neck. Used e45 and tra tree. Hope you mamage Scotland. Take care Jayyne