December 14th 2009 - It's a hat trick!

2 minute read time.

Mum got up this morning feeling very sick but quickly took her anti-sickness meds and was soon ok.  This seems to be her pattern as after her first chemo her food was tasteless the one night and she felt sick the next morning.  She has been fine since and enjoyed all of her food.

I came home from work at lunch time to take her for the bone scan.  We went up to the hospital for 1pm where she was injected with the radioactive stuff.  5 minutes later we were on our way home with instructions that she should have a couple of cups of tea before returning at 3.15pm for the scan.  She was really tired but didn't have time for a sleep before we had to head back to the hospital.  She was taken for the scan at 3.15pm and, for some reason, I had it in my head it took 10 minutes.  40 minutes later she returned to the waiting room feeling a little light headed.  It turns out the process takes35 minutes and during that time she had had to lie completely still so when she got up she was a wee bit dizzy.  She soon rcovered and we were home by 4.15pm. 

She had her tea early and then went up for a sleep.  When she got up at 7.30pm she was soaking wet with sweat.  Out came the thermometer - normal!  Just that sweating she gets in bed again.  Apart from feeling tired today she still feels good and seems to be settling into the constant routine of medication, sleep and tests.

Today she went out to the door to speak to my next door neighbours carer.  Rita, the carer, asked if mum had been having her hair done.  She said it was lovely.  Mum told her it was a wig, she couldn't believe it!  This made mum feel really good about the wig, even though friends and family have been telling her how good it looks.  I suppose because she was thinking that we were all just trying to make her feel good it took a stranger, who didn't know she'd lost her hair, to confirm how natural it looked.  I'm delighted as it has given mum a real confidence boost.

So why a hat trick?  Even though mum felt a little sick, had a bone scan and has been sweating profusely she remains happy and positive - The 3rd good day in a row! 

Anonymous
  • Well done to your Mum. They told me to drink 3 litres of water before my scan. I asked them to tell me when the scanner was off my face and then we played I spy. My C for ceiling was a bit predictable but it made the time go by.

One lady at my doctors said I was so lucky I had not lost my hair during chemo. Did not tell her I was wearing a wig.

Love

Sue x x x