December 10th 2009 - My mum is so brave!

1 minute read time.

We went to the hospital today and mum had her bloods done, her chest and back x-rays and then saw the oncologist.  The oncologist told mum that the chest x-ray shows that the chemo has had an effect on her cancer and it is a little smaller.  He said that the improvement in her breathing and absence of the cough are also good signs that the chemo is doing its job. He couldn't see anything on the x-ray of her spine but has asked her to go for a bone scan just to check it out.  He said if there was anything they would give it a blast of radiotherapy while she's still having her chemo.  He also said the GP hadn't been tactful but had been right to request the x-ray given mums condition.

We came home from the hospital and then had to see the social worker about the stairlift.  She had filled in the form with me over the phone and just came to meet mum before sending the form.  She was faxing the form today and said an occupational therapist visit will be the next step.  We realise with Christmas this may take some time but at least we've set the wheels in motion.  Mums nurse has ordered her wheelchair and in the mean time, to cover us over Christmas when we go up to our family in Scotland, we are hiring one from the red cross.

So why is mum so brave?  Well today she did it, she had her hair all shaved off and didn't shed a tear! (Yet!)  I think after last night she didn't have any left.  Her hairdresser wouldn't take any money, trimmed her wig and brought her flowers.  Aren't people lovely!  Mum says she looks like Yul Bruner!  Actually she looks exactly like her brother who has very little hair so shaves his head.  I am in awe of her, she was in bits last night but has bounced back and is remaining positive.  She has her chemo tomorrow and then we'll be off up to Scotland around the 20th.

Anonymous