50th Birthday - Another first without mum!

1 minute read time.

I've been doing ok for a week or so but could feel the emotion building up over the past few days as I approached my 50th birthday.  Last night the dam burst and I dissolved in tears.  I couldn't stand the thought of spending my 50th without my wee mum.  I have always been with my mum on my birthday and for my 50th the plan was to celebrate it in New York, somewhere neither of us has been but always wanted to go.  Sadly it wasn't to be and now I'm not even sure I could ever visit New York no matter how much I want to go.

I've got through today without tears although there have been a few close calls.  I've had some lovely cards and gifts from my wonderful friends and family but it hasn't been a Happy Birthday, in fact, I'd go as far as to say it has been the most difficult 'first' without mum so far.  It is also the last 'first' without mum as I've now got through mums birthday, Christmas, Mothers Day and now my birthday.  It's almost 8 months since mum passed away and I miss her each, and every, day.  Don't get me wrong, I am moving on and there are now longer periods between bouts of tears.  In the next 7 weeks I have some big decisions to make about work but I am beginning to regain some confidence and feel more positive about my future.

Anyway, here I am, 50 years of age today and continuing to take small steps forward with just the occasional stumble along the way. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

know the feeling, my first one without card from mum

just feels "wrong"

H

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Happy Birthday Caroline - we're the same age!  Special occasions always make us think about those that are not here to share with us but if your mum could look down on  you now she would be sending love and best wishes also.  You have come a long way without your mum and I hope you make the right decisions regarding work.  Maybe one day you will be able to go to New York in your mum''s memory and take her with you in your heart.  God bless, and cheers to the rest of your life!  Ann x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thinking of you celis and wishing you a very happy birthday.  The 'firsts' are always the worst, aren't they?  

Don't give up on the idea of going to New York.  I'm sure your mum, who loved you so much, would want you to go when you're ready.

Take care and lots of love, Madge x x x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Belated Birthday Wishes Caroline,

Every first is hard, but each in its own way is another step forward, A lot of  your friends know just how dedicated you were to the care and love of your mum and did all you could to make sure you granted her final wish of coming home.

Know you planned a trip to New York that you can no longer enjoy together but would your Mum be happy if she was the reason you could no longer live one of your dreams, As Madge has said  what a tribute to Mum to go when you feel ready and live both of your dreams in her memory,

Love and Hugs

J xx