Mother's Day

2 minute read time.

Yesterday was Mother's Day here in the States. My first since I found out that I have a life threatening illness.

I have four children:

Mike-29

Nick- 27

James- 23

Catie- 20

They are truly the light of my life. The best thing I have ever done and every other positive Motherhood platitude you can think of.

My worst fear has always been that one of them would get sick or that some terrible thing would happen to them or that they would die too soon. Probably typical for any parent. I also feared that I wouldn't be around to see them grow up. I consider myself so lucky to have had the opportunity to see and to get to know them as adults (or almost adults.) I am also so grateful that I am the one that is sick- not one of them, if that makes sense. Of course, I wish I didn't have cancer, but better me than them.

They have made me so proud, too. They have been here for me when things were at their absolute worst. Nick has accompanied me to all of my chemotherepy sessions, taking the day off work and driving almost 200 miles. His older brother Mike has managed to come twice and Catie got to come to the last one after coming home from school. They made what could have been a horrible experience fun. They can be very entertaining.

James is 1400 miles away in Oregon. He left because of a GIRL he reconnected with on facebook! Thank goodness he is happy and it's worked out. I know that he would have come if he could. He should be visiting this Summer with the GIRL, whom I haven't met yet. He is also saving money to fly out, just in case things take a turn for the worse.

The other side of the coin is missing my mother. My own mom has been dead for almost 6 years. I can't tell you how much I miss her. She was the strongest person I ever knew and there are times when I wish I could lean on her again. But I am also thankful that she isn't here now. She would worry too much... she always worried about her kids too much.

She suffered from Alzheimers for years before her death. It was a slow and painful way to lose her. Her death was really a blessing when it happened. I know that she would have hated living like that , if she were her old self. My dad was a saint- keeping her at home with a carer for as long as possible. She turned really mean to him, he just let it wash over him. Of course, he didn't retire until she died so he didn't have to stay home with her all day! (at age 82)

Anyway, I read  these posts from people whose cancer has robbed them of the chance to ever have children of their own. I read posts from parents who have been diagnosed while their children are still so small. And then there are the posts from parents whose children have been the one's diagnosed. I can't even imagine...

I am so lucky. I know it and am grateful.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tiedye!

Thanks for sharing your lovely family with us.

My daughter is 48 and my son is 46, but they are still kids to me But I don't let them know that!

I still worry about them, so you lot have a lot of worrying to do yet! But they are the best thing that happened to me and my wife and gave us more pleasure than pain.

Real welsh cwtches to you all,

Odin xxx

PS I suppose if I sign off as Odin I aught to send you Nordic greetings, Ekte welsh cwtches til dere alle.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi TyTy,

That was a lovely blog, and I think your feelings about your children are universal "Mom" ones - I certainly identify with them. My own daughter is 43, married with 2 kids (12 and 5) and a hectic life, and lives ni another city, but she managed several round trips to see me when I was ill, which cheered me no end. She also managed to calm my beloved's fears, albeit only temporarily!

I worry for her, especially as her children are still young but that's what we do, it goes with the territory doesn't it?

Take good care of yourself,

love & hugs,

Annie xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Tye Dye,

I very much enjoyed reading your post, and I am so glad that you have a great family around you to support you through cancer. It was also very true to my own feelings as I ahave always thought that whilst loosing anyone is heart breaking there is a natural order to life, and losing a child goes right against it.

I have two young girls who are still at school (14 and 16) and when i was diagnosed nearly two years ago all I thought was I want to be here to see them grow up. Selfish maybe, but also it is a great thing to use to fight this bastard disease, oh and like LM I have every intention of beating it, bag or bagless!

Good luck Tye Dye, and hope you had a lovely Mothers Day.

Tight lines

Tim xxx

• Hello TyTy your family sound like a warm loving and supportive family.Your blog I think echos many of the thoughts and feelings of so many of us.I have two daughters who have been so supportive and I worried if anything happened to me how would they cope especially since their dad left.I too miss my mum and wished she could have been there when I was diagnosed.My mum had a way of making me laugh even in the worst of situations and had a saying for almost everything.My friend lost her son when he was thirteen to cancer it was the most painful heart breaking thing to witness and as Tim said against the natural order of things.My girls gave me a reason and a focus to do all I could to fight I want to be around for them as long as I can I think we will always worry about our children no matter how old they are they are still our children.I have also realised just how strong they really are when I was at my worst my eldest really surprised me in how she cared for and helped me.So Happy Mothers Day and I hope you celebrate many more with your lovely family Love and Hugs Cruton xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

After reading your blog and all the positive lovely replies all i can say is Here's to family, friends and here's to beating this shitty disease,

Take care Tye dye and hope you had a lovely Mum day xxx