Mental illness is making me crazy!

• Chasing wellness

A cancer diagnosis can have a devastating & debilitating effect on your mental health, plunging you into a darkness that only you can see.

I'm not crazy but I've spent a lifetime, since childhood, struggling with extreme depression, anxiety & panic attacks which believe me, at times, makes you feel crazy. Its extremely difficult for someone who has never experienced mental illness to truly understand it & it is equally…

• The ungrateful cat

I'm an animal lover & Iive with a cat; she was a scrawny undernourished little ball of fur, living rough on the streets when I took her in & then I became her personal slave.

After several years of spitting, hissing, biting & hiding she has finally decided that I'm not that bad for a human, but grateful, she's not.

I'm used to cuddly cats, the type that run to greet you, snuggle with you by the…

• The voices

I hear voices, I have heard voices since a child. These are not internal voices in my head, these are external voices, as if someone is just behind me or within the same room as me, but they can't be seen, just heard. As a child they frightened me, I was afraid to be alone or go to bed; I was raised in a very religious household  so voices that I said I heard were just accepted as spirit; basically I was told it was…

• Medications that may block the effectiveness of Tamoxifen

After being told by my surgeon that at some point through my treatment I would be prescribed Tamoxifen & because I take several other medications which include antipsychotics, antidepressants & tablets for anxiety, I decided to research whether my other medications would work well with Tamoxifen & the side effects of Tamoxifen.

There are lots of medical journals & research papers that can be accessed on the…

• Ignorance is bliss, or is it?

Months down the line from first diagnosis, I am now at the radiotherapy stage. Up until now I had not asked many questions about my type of cancer, I have never researched it in books or on the internet & I could not even bring myself to even look at any leaflets (of which there are many as everyone involved in your treatment seems to want to give you a leaflet). You see, I just wanted to curl up in a ball & wish the…