Sometimes this seems like a bad dream I wish we could wake up from.

1 minute read time.

Wednesday 1st June 2011

Things are not getting any better!

Got an appointment at the Doctors Surgery yesterday and saw a locum.  To give her her due, she was very thorough in examining John and trying to discover why he is suffering from so much pain and nausea.  His blood pressure has gone up slightly so she put him back on a low dose of Ramipril.

She also prescribed a higher dose of Oxynorm (10mls.) and prescribed Paracetamol for the pain, but it's having no effect at all.  As I type this he is lying on his right side on the bed - the only way he can find relief.  He can't lie on the other side because it is too painful.  He hasn't been out for a couple of days, even on the buggie, because he feels so rough.  It's like he's shutting himself away from the world and it's breaking my heart.

I mentioned a GP referral to MacMillan but the locum said she had never referred anyone before.  She said to leave it with her but phoned later in the day to say that she didn't think it was appropriate at this time because she doesn't consider that John is at the end of his life.  Those were good words to hear but it doesn't solve our problem. 

The CT scan is tomorrow but then we have to wait another seven days before we see the Oncologist for the results.  I'm thinking of phoning the Oncology Department in the afternoon (after the scan) to ask them to hurry up the results and explain to them what John is going through right now.  I don't think he can take much more.

Madge x x

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you so much for all your help and support.  I've just phoned MacMillan and they consider that it is totally appropriate for John and myself to be supported by one of their nurses.  The nurse I spoke to suggested that he be prescribed a slow release tablet called (excuse if spelling not correct) oxycontin, on top of the oxynorm which should keep his pain under control.

I subsequently phone the surgery and insisted on speaking to his doctor and I was put through straight away.  I explained John's symptoms and he agreed that he should be referred and has asked to see him this afternoon at 4.40!!!!!  So I DID rattle some cages and it worked!

Once again, thank you.  I will keep you all updated.

Love you all! Madge x x x x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm so glad you've managed to find the anti invisablity cloak. Your doc will help now. I think they need a reality check now and again. Sometimes I feel like screaming WE ARE HERE AND WE ARE STILL ALIVE. All good vibes to you and yours  Fran

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Glad you are getting somewhere, is such a shame as Jon's Dr's couldn't have been more supportive, shame the level of service does not meet the same standards everywhere. Hope the medication works fast for him x