My head's in a spin!

1 minute read time.

John has been in a lot of pain and increasing his pain relief isn't helping.  He spends most of his time lying in bed or on the sofa in a daze from the medicine.  I'm collecting a prescription for Dexamethasone later today - a steroid which helps control pain.  He's to take that for a week and his meds will be reviewed again.  I'm so hoping they'll do the trick because the poor love is exhausted and hasn't been out of the house since coming home from hospital last Tuesday.

Our lives are well and truly controlled by this awful disease now.  We eat, sleep and talk about it all the time.  I can't even sleep in the same bed because the air mattress takes up so much room and we're surrounded by medicines and leaflets. 

The outpatients appointment looms on Thursday!  We know the scan results aren't good and he does have the option of a trial treatment which doesn't sound very satisfactory at all.  If he agrees, he won't even know if he's accepted or not - half the patients will be on chemo and the other half not, and they'll compare the results.  As far as I'm concerned I don't want him treated like a guinea pig at this late stage and I don't think he can take any more chemo any way.  The final decision will be made on Thursday but I know that John feels the same way as I do. 

So, where do we go from here?  Who knows?  I'm hoping and praying that they can relieve his pain and sickness so that I can get him out for a bit, even if it is raining!  He's going stir crazy stuck in the flat all day and it makes him dwell on his symptoms all the time.

I'm sorry to rant but I feel like I'm going out of my mind and I need to get it off my chest.  My head is going round and round in circles so I'll sign off now.

Love to all my wonderful friends.

A really Mad Madge, x x x x x x x

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi hun always thinking of you both hope you manage to get out yes even if its raining somehow the rain doesnt seem so bad sometimes love and hugs to you both jen xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi everyone and thank you for your support.

I did ramble on a bit yesterday but it was just the way I felt at the time.  John's pain not much better today.  It's almost lunchtime and he's only just found the strength to have a shower and dress.  I was supposed to be having a couple of hours at my writing class today but I was too worried to leave him with my sister.

Johnc, I do agree that drugs have to be trialled so that they may benefit others in the future but I think John has had enough of chemo for now.  He did take part in one trial which had an amazing effect but that didn't last long.  The tumour came back and the second round of chemo has left him like he is now.  Enough is enough.  We both agree on that point and will be talking to the oncologist tomorrow, IF he's well enough to attend for the appointment.

He's taken his first dose of the steroids today so I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed that they will do what it says on the bottle!

Take care everyone and thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply to my ranting.  I love you ALL.

Madge x x x x x x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hellow madge i am new to this site and was just reading your post i know  how john and you feil i had lung cancer and i had surgery for this but since having it i carnt walk far and my chest is so bad i am om oramoeph for the pain but some days carnt get out of bed with the oramorph but i have to have it becuse of the pain so i understand and being in the flat all time does not help but do hope john gers it sorted and you both be in my prayers and hope things get beter for the both of you all my lv lilx