How much more pain?

Less than one minute read time.

Tuesday 2nd June 2010

I look at John sometimes and I wonder how much more pain he can take.  It has been almost constant during the last five days and his face is grey.  He was determined to come out in the sunshine this afternoon but he felt every bump in the road and I could see he was suffering.

The morphine isn't touching it and it's making him feel sick all the time.  He won't let me phone the doctor because he thinks it's someting he has to endure but I'm sure that's not the case.  Trouble is, we don't really know whether it's the tumour or the ulcers. 

If he's not better tomorrow, I'm going to phone the hospital no matter what he says.  I'm sure he shouldn't be suffering like this.  One of the first things the oncology consultant said was that they wouldn't let him suffer and would keep his pain under control.

I know he's strong but I'm not sure how much more he can take.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Madge - I really hope your hubby's pain is sorted soon. Take care of yourself - sending you love and strength, Val X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

oh madge im sorry but im going to be very firm here , i saw ju suffer like this , he would not let me call dr,mac nurse ect ,and he kept gpoing suffering and i mean really suffering until 2 days before he died and mac nurse put her foot down and put syringe driver up , what john need to see is how much you are hurting seeing him like this ,its hurts so much it takes your breath away, i cried for hours while ju was sleeping, and do you know why because it doesnt need to be like this , they can put syringe driver up just for a few days to get pain and sickness under control it doesnt have to be an end of life thing, please madge try and get john to listen ,i hate to think of you both in this pain ,it breaks my heart, please if i can do anything im here, sorry i got cross but only coz i love you hugs to you both xxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

You are all such wonderful people, as I have said many times before.  *hugs* to you all.

John's pain has lessened this morning.  He still feels very under the weather because of the tiredness and feeling sick, but he seems a lot brighter.

Jenni - he doesn't have morphine administered by syringe as yet.  He takes Oxynorm because he can't tolerate Oramorph - gives him terrible hallucinations.  Because he's afraid of getting 'hooked' he only takes it when he really needs it, although the doctor has told him that if you take it for pain, you can't get 'hooked'.

That's men for you.  Bless them.

I'll keep an eye on him today and I'll be on that phone if he suffers like he did yesterday.

Thank you so much for all your encouragement and support.

Marjorie x x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

madge ju was same had oxynorm, for same reason ,take care love xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Madge

You might have to overrule him on this one - for his own good! I was told right at the start not to suffer in silence on any symptom because they can help. Wether it be change of tablets for ongoing symptom or new prescription for fresh symptom.

This thing is bad enough without suffering unecessarily.

Tell him needs to get things sorted so that all his strength goes to fighting 'c' and not the side effects of treatment.

Big hugs to you both

Maxine