Feeling so helpless today, don't know what to do!

1 minute read time.

Sunday 5th June, 2011

John's been feeling ill for a few days now and it's not getting any better.  The biggest of his problems is dry retching/heaving.  Every time he stands up he gets the urge to be sick but nothing comes up except a lot of clear fluid.  It's wearing him out and the anti-sickness tablets don't seem to be helping.

Another problem is that he suffers from constipation which makes him very uncomfortable.

He also has a lot of pain and spends most of the day either lying on the bed or propped up on the sofa looking like a little ghost.  He's lost so much weight that I'm almost afraid to touch him and he's very wobbly on his feet.

I couldn't stand it any longer when he started heaving again this morning and decided to try to ring somebody.  We're waiting to be assigned a Mac Nurse but haven't heard anything yet so I tried NHS Direct.  The recorded message said that they were extremely busy and there might be a four hour waiting time for somebody with experience to phone us back, so I gave up on that one and phoned the Oncology contact number, even though he's no longer having chemo.  (We will be seeing the Registrar next week for the results of his CT scan after the last bout of chemo.)

I listed his symptoms to a young nurse who took notes and said she would phone me back.  So here we are waiting!

Not sure why I wanted to write this down but it does help to get it off my chest.

Madge x x x x x

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Madge,If you dont get any joy just ring an ambulance and they will take you,at least then they can sort his meds out and asign you a mac nurse.At york we have a oncology ward and if i have a problem i just ring them,check with your hospital and ask to be put through to the oncology ward,they may ask you to take John in.hope you get sorted Love Chris.x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Madge, I'm a bit surprised that a doctor who has never met your husband would say such a thing over the phone to him. He can't possibly know that without doing tests etc. It is outrageous the way some medics behave. He phones your house, tells your husband that and goes on his merry way. All that I believe was required of him at the time was to give advice on pain relief and help resolve the sickness issue.

I hope John continues to feel better as the day goes on.

Best wishes to you both. Christine xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Madge,

Like Christine I find it odd that a doctor who doesn't know John or his case would say something like that over the phone!

Easy to say I know but try not to set too much store in his words, John's own onc will have the right info and advice on Thurs.

Will be thinking of you on Thurs

Love and hugs

Max xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sending ((((((hugs)))))) Madge hope things have settled and you can cope till Thursday. There us always the out of hours GP service they came and gave mum a jab of Stemital (spelling??) a couple of times and it really helped.

Diane

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Best of luck on Thursday Madge...I also think it is totally absurd for a doctor to disgnos anything over the phone...especially never having met John. Very unprofessional if you ask me!

You two just forget about that stupid phone call and look forward to better news later this week.......Ken