A New Recliner and some Heartbreak:o(

1 minute read time.

Sorry to give bad news (again), but today didn't start too well.  John was in an awful lot of pain this morning, despite the District Nurse's suggestion that he take his slow release pain relief tablets and a top up of Oxynorm half an hour before getting up, to give them time to work.

He woke up at 5.30am this morning and the pain started then.  So I gave him some Oxynorm and he managed a couple of hours sleep.  Then, at 8am when his tablets were due, I did as the nurse suggested and he stayed in bed.  Result - still in pain.

I 'topped him up' several times with Oxynorm before the Mac Nurse and District Nurse arrived at 12 o'clock to review his meds.  All they've done is to increase the meds he's on so lord only knows what state he will be in tomorrow.  He's already spaced out most of the time and, when he has his lucid moments, he absolutely hates feeling that way.  So do I but I hate to see him in pain so it seems like there's no other way.

One good thing today was that his daughter Jo went to look at an electric recliner advertised 'as new' for only £50.  Turned out to be spotless and she came back with it in the boot of her car.  John was taking a nap on the bed and, by the time he woke up, I'd called my son-in-law and he and Jo between them removed the old armchair and installed the recliner. 

It's perfect!  He looks so much more comfortable and relaxed and spent the afternoon snoozing on and off.  We're calling it King John's Throne and Jo and I are his handmaidens! 

The heartbreak happened tonight after dinner.  He managed to eat a 'toddler's meal' and sponge pud and custard and then we sat together enjoying a cup of tea.  He looked so sad and then said "I didn't want it all to end like this!" 

Neither did I Sweetheart, neither did I!!!!!! :o(

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Madge,Glad you got King John his throne,hope he is more relaxed,think all of us feel like John but dont actually come out and say the words,hes a brave man.Hugs Chris.xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Madge such sad words (((hugs)))  

I am thinking of you both and wishing there was something/anything I could do to help.

Im glad John is able to be comfy in his recliner :)

I am sending my love and strength to you tonight xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Madge,

So sorry to hear John's sad words and how you, he and Jo are feeling, but you can say whatever you need to here Madge. Many of us understand what you are all going through now and all I am able to do is send my love and thoughts and prayers to you all tonight.

I do hope John is more comfortable tomorrow and can enjoy spending some time in his "Throne".

Perhaps tomorrow, they'll decide to change John's pain relief - just a thought, but it's so easy to become immune to Oxynorm / OxyContin - I've had to had my dose of both increased recently and I only take it to relieve pain from my arthritis, not the pain John's in now.

Love and hugs, Rose x x x ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Madge

Such sadness in his words love, my heart cries for you both and Jo. x

I hope today will be more peaceful for John especially now he has his "Throne to" settle into.

Thinking of you all and sending you lots of love and strength.

Shaz (((((((((((XXXXXXX))))))))))

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Madge,

My heart breaks for you.  I know how hard it is to watch someone you absolutely adore suffering like that.  Sending you both lots of love and hugs.  Caroline XX