New Site and Lost !!!!

2 minute read time.

This is my 3rd attempt at a blog on here.

First I have no illusions as to the complexity of the task in estiblishing a new and improved version of the Mac Site, its a massive undertaking not only to get it up and running but to transfer all the previous posts, blogs, members and threads so congratulations to all involved and know there must of been some sleepless nights.

This makes it even sadder that all my comments are so negative. The site is slow, I understand this is being addressed - thanks. The 'Improvements' appear to make both the navigation and following of  threads, blogs and responses confusing to say the least.

While I can follow some of the logic of the menu system everyone has a tendance to compare to the old version. I could go to a home page and see what my'friends' had posted, I could go to the response and comment - Now I feel alone and lost. I realise some of the problems may be mine and I am missing some obvious shortcuts that I will find in time. We all resist change, maybe I am a luddite, too set in my ways and resistant to change.

What probably bothers me the most is how the newbies go on, does the site allow them to find help, understand how to post a blog and even guide them into chat. Got to admit I went into chat and did not even post a comment it was so alien.

I  understand that a lot of time, effort and money has been invested in the 'New Site' and it is provided free of charge so I may seem ungreatful, but actually feel I have lost a major support that I invested time and emotion in. I have been there to support those who where new to the site, lost and hurting, but not looking for thanks for that, I was paying back a debt from when that was me and had my hand held and felt desperate. The site was the Mac Family.

I know I maybe being harsh and that its still the first 24 hours and I need to allow problems to be sorted and the speed to be improved so I will with hold my final verdict, but first thought is the current version is not fit for purpose and should of been posponed untill large scale trials had been carried out and problems ironed out before withdrawing the previous version.

I originally tried to post this to James in admin but after preparing and posting it got the message 'Error' enough said.

Sad, lost and disallusioned

Regards John

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi John

thanks for this blog - I have only been on Mac for two weeks and i am upset it has chaged. I am going through a difficult time and value the support but feel it has been removed as i can't access things easily anymore.

Chat freezes; can't get blogs; the speed is slow - then you get error on page - very frustrating for epople who are in need and desperate.

Thanks for listening xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

See I only posted once

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have been trying to find FORUMS  .... just came across this blog by a fluke..... thank you! I was beginning to feel like Alice in Wonderland!

Christine

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm also feeling somewhat lost and isolated here with the advent of the new site layout, and I'm by no means computer illiterate.

I expect that things will work out eventually, but an awful lot of people are in an emotionally vulnerable state and depend on the companionship of the community here for support and encouragement from their peers.

When you find a community such as this, it helps so much.  When that support mechanism has been torn away (as it has by the new site roll-out), it really brings home just how valuable this resource is.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I don't feel so much lost as shut out.  I haven't been able to access the "we talk brain tumour" thread all day.  I've seen others post on it, yet if I click on the latest post link or discussion link, it just times out and I get "windows cannot display the page".

I can look at profiles, comment on blogs etc but not the one thing I really want to be part of :(

I hope it's better tomorrow, it's dare I say it, even slower than the old site and that was bad enough.  I hate bagging out progress but this seems to be at our expense.  We lost so many good people when the site changed over to What Now, how many more will we loose this time around.

Almost ready to give up and go back to facebook, where I have lots of friends but not all the people I care about with brain tumours and their carers!