Less than one minute read time.
A couple of months ago my Mum was told she had cancer of the liver and pancreas and there was nothing they could do. We were told she had a couple of months, summer at best, well we've had a couple of months and in the last couple of weeks she has gone down hill quite a lot. The palative care nurses have been trying to jungle her meds for sickness and pain but it hasn't really worked out to the extent that she is now being admitted to the hospice tomorrow supposedly for a few days to help my Dad. The problem is that she is demonstrating the actions mentioned on this site about end of life and I fear that she may not have long. Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share?
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Stu,

Someone's end of life should be treasured, it is an important part of life, a very important part and you are in a position to drive your mum's final moments of how you want it to be.  Spend time with her, ask her things, listen to her advice, ask her about the future, all sorts of things you may want to talk about after she's gone.  Let her know that it's ok to go as she is tired and has fought hard enough.

Regards her physically, I hope that the medical team will make sure she is comfortable and not suffering at all, in as little pain as possible to enable her to stay with you and talk to you.  These are very precious moments, ones that you will live with forever and you have a chance to make them perfect for your mum.  These quality moments wlll help you when she's gone, they will get you through - no regrets.

Stay strong x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Stu

My sister in law had the same cancer as your mother she was the most bravest person I have ever known,right until the end she was thinking about her husband and two sons not herself.She told us about what she wanted us to do after she had " gone" but remember Stu they are never gone they are always with us in our hearts.I remember telling my nephew the worst parts in this journey are when you are first told about the cancer,the next is living with it and seeing your mother going down hill,when the time comes it will seem as thought you cannot cope but you will.

My brother told me that when his wife died he felt both relieved and as thought a great weight had lifted off his shoulders you will get through this time heals.

Be brave we are all thinking of you.

barbs