loneliness of a carer

Less than one minute read time.

I look after my husband full time now as his condition has deteriated. He has a Brain Tumor.

There is very little conversation during the day and I am finding it very lonely as all my friends and family work during the week and lead busy social lives which I can no longer be involved in.  There is only so much cleaning and cooking I can do to pass time.

So what things do other carers do to help stop themselves going insane.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Mandy,

I had to do the same in our dining room. I cleared out the table, chairs and sideboard and replaced them with a comfortable high back chair for John. There was already another comfy chair in the room for me. He was still sleeping upstairs (thanks to a stairlift) so we bought a daybed for the dining room so he could have an afternoon nap. Now that John has gone I haven't changed a thing except to get rid of equipment such as zimmer frames. The boys and I have realised that the room is much better as an extra sitting room. With it's comfy chairs, a day bed, a small tv on the wall and doors to the patio it is a delightful room and I'm glad we made the changes. If a friend comes to see me we have somewhere nice and private to go for a chat. Last night William suggested we stop calling it the dining room so we are thinking of a new name.

What started as an unpleasant task (I used to love my dining room as it was) has turned into something positive. When you do make a room downstairs for a bed, make sure you have somewhere nice to sit too. Yoko