13th February 2010 - Finding the Lump

1 minute read time.

It's Saturday and we are due to fly to Norway in a few hours for our final wedding planning trip before the big day in April. 

I have regularly checked my breasts every 3-4 weeks for over 10 years so when I found a definite lump in the shower, I knew it wasn't normal for me, far from.  I got my fiance to check it too and he pretty much fainted there and then leaving me standing there with water pouring all over me!

Skip forward, he thinks he is well enough to drive so we got in the car for the 2 hour drive to the airport - meanwhile I got on the phone to NHS direct to find out if the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) would cover me for scans and tests in Norway that could be sent back to England in order to minimise any delay in diagnosis.  They said I could not as finding a lump (despite family history) is not classed as an emergency under the European Health Insurance Card.  They told me to make appointment with GP. 

Being a Saturday I was transferred to the out of hours GP surgery service and told they couldn't do anything that day, or even make an appointment for me for when I got back and that I would have to call up again myself once I was back!

Anonymous